Snow Front Snow Blower or Front Snow Plow?

/ Front Snow Blower or Front Snow Plow? #1  

FRIZ

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4720 Cab
Front Snow Blower or Front Snow Plow?

Hello everybody:

My property is in NW Indiana. And I have approximately 800 yards of gravel road to maintain. I am planning to buy a John Deere 3720. But some of you guys are recommending 4X20. I am reluctant because of cost and the fact that John Deere doesn稚 make a front snow blower for the 4X20.

Now I have the following questions:

Should I stay away from a front snow blower because of my 800 yards of gravel road? Should I use a front snow plow? I thought that a front snow blower would be fast & efficient? Please elaborate.

Thank you.
Regards,
FRIZ

/ Front Snow Blower or Front Snow Plow? #2  
There is NO comparison between a sno-blower(front or rear)and a sno-plow in regard to efficiency ;) The gravel complicates the use of the blower somewhat, but not sufficiently to scare you off, especially when you're talking 2400 feet;thats a lot of snow to move with a plow. The biggest problem with a plow is, where do you put all the snow; you spend more time plowing snow dumps than you do driveway :rolleyes:

/ Front Snow Blower or Front Snow Plow? #3  
Blower one shot snow removal...no worries about keeping banks push back etc.

/ Front Snow Blower or Front Snow Plow? #4  
How much snow do you get annually on average?

/ Front Snow Blower or Front Snow Plow? #5  
A blower may not be the always the best tool. A heavy wet warm snow can pack the augers like concrete & nothing gets to the impeller. You end up pushing until spinning out.

I have a 8' bucket in front and a 7' 2 stage blower on the back. Works for any snow conditions.

At 2400' a 4wd pickup and a plow may go faster if there is room to push off the snow.

/ Front Snow Blower or Front Snow Plow? #6  
hello from the other side of the tracks the blue tracks that is, I would definitely go with the rear snowblower I have about 1500 foot gravel road and never have a problem just pack the first snow or set the skids a little high for the first few passes then it packs nice and tight no stone-throwing, plus then you have a bucket for that occasional wet heavy snow which we all seem to be getting a lot of in upstate New York during the wintertime. I always had front mount snow blower till this tractor but I've got to tell you it's really not that hard to back up with the mirrors helping now don't shoot me or ban me for posting a new Holland picture in the JD forms ;-).

Attachments

• IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    514.3 KB · Views: 654
  • IMG_0022.jpg
    IMG_0022.jpg
    584.3 KB · Views: 811
  • IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    449.6 KB · Views: 428
   / Front Snow Blower or Front Snow Plow? #7  
FRIZ, my experience with my plow on my gravel driveway is that it ends up moving a lot of gravel along with the snow, even with the "pads" set. When the snow melts, I usually end up with a pretty muddy driveway, then I have to go back and grade my driveway to correct what the snow plow did. In a way, the action you take with your snowplow is exactly what you don't want to do with your driveway---gravel-maintenance-wise, if you catch what I mean. it ends up pushing the gravel off the side of the driveway and reverses the draining as well. If the blade is set too high, you don't get the effect you need re: snow removal. I've never used a snowblower attachment, but I'd be tempted to get one.....good luck!

/ Front Snow Blower or Front Snow Plow? #8  
I have between 800 and 1000 feet of driveway. I use a front mounted blower on a 4110 and wouldn't trade it . My first year I used my FEL, but as some mentioned I spent more time making a place to put snow than clearing the drive. My drive is gravel, too. I move a lot less gravel with the blower than the FEL. Only once did I ever have it plug up--that was when I went to move snow that was sitting in water. (wanted to clear a path for the water to drain)

/ Front Snow Blower or Front Snow Plow? #9  
Friz,

I clean a 400' gravel drive with a front blower and a 2210. Before the blower I used a loader and rear blade.

Most everyone will agree that the loader is just about worthless for moving snow. Blades are nice. They are fast, cheap and low maintenance. You'll tear up some grass, but you'll be doing it fast and cheaply!

The blower isn't perfect, it's expensive, slower and requires some maintenance, but without a doubt, a blower is the tool for moving snow.

The blower is more deliberate. Instead of charging down the driveway in high range with a blade, with a blower you'll be driving more slowly in low range....but you'll be done.

Regarding gravel, I just float my blower an inch or so above the drive and don't worry about the gravel. For the area, we've had near record snowfall these last two years, and I couldn't be happier with my front blower. For what it's worth we've gotten around 100" of snow each of the last two years. I'm cleaning 400' with a little tractor and it's all I want to do. For my situation, I'd definitely "need" the blower any year I knew for sure we were gonna have more than 50". If you're plowing snow twice a week, a blower makes a lot of sense.

Joe