Sorry I miss-wrote: Skid Steer attachment for 400cx loader.

/ Sorry I miss-wrote: Skid Steer attachment for 400cx loader. #1  

FRIZ

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4720 Cab
Should I do Skid Steer attachment or should I stick to regular John Deere attachment for my 400cx loader? Is it more expensive to do Skid Steer attachments instead of regular John Deere attachments? Why should I Skid Steer? Should I even entertain this thought? Keep in mind that I am just a gentleman farmer.

How do I do Skid Steer attachment for my new 4720? Do I have to order the STEER LOADER ATTACHMENT CARRIER (BW15244) or is there another way?

I assume that the Skid Steer Foundry Bucket 66 in (KV11636) is the equivalent of the regular John Deere Heavy-duty Bucket 61 in (BW14764)? Am I correct?

I assume that the Skid Steer Scrap Grapples 60 in (7870T) is the equivalent of the regular John Deere Debris Grapple Bucket 60 in (AL1560H)? Am I correct?

I assume that the Skid Steer Rail Pallet Forks 48 in (0253KV) is the equivalent of the regular John Deere Pallet Forks 48 in (AL1240F)? Am I correct?

Please educate me. :confused:

Thank you.
Regards,
FRIZ

/ Sorry I miss-wrote: Skid Steer attachment for 400cx loader. #2  
Everybody will disagree with me...but here goes:

I think the JDQA (John Deere Quick-Attach) is all you need. The SSQA (Skid Steer Quick-Attach or commonly called Bobtach) adds weight, reduces lift capacity, and cost's more money up front than the JDQA.

Everybody will say" but you can run any SS attachment if you get the SSQA"-but I disaggree completely. Most SS implements are to heavy and they reqire to much hydraulic flow.

There are 3 basic things you can/will run on your loader:

A Bucket...
Forks...
A Grapple...

ALL of these are redily available to fit the JDQA. The JDQA is just as fast, lighter and cheaper.

These are my thoughts...worth what you paid for them;)

/ Sorry I miss-wrote: Skid Steer attachment for 400cx loader. #3  
Kenny is absolutely correct..!! Added weight, a bucket, a grapple and forks. That about covers it.... The 4720 won't likely have enough hydraulic flow to run a trencher, a hyd jackhammer, or maybe a post hole digger.

The SS mounts will probably add 50-75lbs to the loader arms - so, that's weight that you won't be able to put in the bucket, etc.

And there are probably 5-6 different grapple designs that you wouldn't be able to rent or buy.. everything from a trash grapple to a root grapple or a manure grapple - and they don't all come with a JD attachment system.

And there are probably 3-4 different fork designs, too. From different length forks to pinned forks to forks that slide along a round stock tube to re-adjust - and they don't all come with a JD attachment system, either.

Of course, there's also at least 5-6 different types of buckets, too. Everything from a snow bucket to a foundry bucket. Wanna take bets about how many of them have the JD attachment system..?

It comes down to how you expect to use your tractor. Now and later on.

AKfish

/ Sorry I miss-wrote: Skid Steer attachment for 400cx loader. #4  
The weight of the JD skid steer system is only marginally more than the standard setup. You remove the standard setup and these are added in the same pin holes. The cost of the skid steer attachment when I bought mine was just over $400. JD's heavy duty bucket was about $300 more than a comparable SS bucket. The JD SS foundry bucket is the best fit for size and better made than the JD hd bucket-and yes cheaper. JD pallet forks are much higher priced than regular SS pallet forks. You can run a SS hydraulic PHD from the front on a 4x20. I do it with my 3x20 and the 4x20 has even more flow.
Personally, JD needs make the SS attachment as standard equipment. Every other major player is using SS attachment on CUTs. The additional cost to make the SS attachment as standard would be marginal.

Resale is much easier with SS attachments than a proprietary JD attachment. Finding used SS attachments is also much easier and cheaper.

With a SS mounting plate, you can have it welded/mounted to practically anything you would like to add to the front. Manlift, boom, bale spear etc. You can buy the JD brackets but more $$, and more difficult to mount than a SS plate.

Other than the initial cost, why would anyone not want the SS attachment carrier?

/ Sorry I miss-wrote: Skid Steer attachment for 400cx loader. #5  
Agree w/ Kenny.

Last edited:
   / Sorry I miss-wrote: Skid Steer attachment for 400cx loader. #6  
Go Skidsteer........ for the versatility.

1) Skidsteer will generally be cheaper due to volume. Going JD will generally lock you into paying JD dealer prices (with some exceptions,yes).

2) Skidster gives you great options when looking at used attachments (how often do you see JD style forks,buckets,etc. for sale on the used market...... and for how much? Ever thought about a loader mounted post hole auger?)

3) Somewhere down the road, you may want a new tractor (never say never). Are you SURE it will be a JD??? Or...... maybe you buy a second tractor for a second purpose or second piece of property. Will that one be a JD also? Skidsteer will allow you to keep all those attachments you spent all that money on for your next (and potentially non-JD) tractor.

4) Got a good friend or realitve you might want to borrow an attachment from? I wouldn't normally let anyone borrow an attachment...... but i would make an exception for my in-laws (who just happen to own a skidsteer). How many friends or relatives have JD compatible attachments?

OK..... maybe NOT having any possibility of anyone you know asking to borrow your rock bucket is a good thing. I'd do anything to help out my in-laws though.

I will agree with that Kenny guy on forgetting about operating most skidsteer attachments with hydraulic motors though (like the ones down at the rental depot). They are to much for most CUTs.

/ Sorry I miss-wrote: Skid Steer attachment for 400cx loader. #7  
Lots of opinions in this thread.

The hydraulics on a 4720 will not compare to a skid steer. But if he wanted to pick up some skid steer attachments cheap - they are all over the place.

Bucket
Rock bucket
grapple
Forks
maybe a bale hugger
Square bale grapple

Lots of flexibility with the SS mounting system.

D.