Ballast Finally Filled My Ballast Box

/ Finally Filled My Ballast Box #21  
Urban legends and the Internet are good starting points.

If you get a chance, be sure to catch an old episode where they blew up an 8 or 10 yard transit mixer with 850 pounds of high explosives.

It doesn't get much better than that.

That one was cool, but a few weeks ago they were trying to make diamonds. They finally went to a mining school where they set off a concentrated explosion with 5000 lbs of explosives. It was deemed the largest explosion in Mythbuster history!

/ Finally Filled My Ballast Box #22  
That one was cool, but a few weeks ago they were trying to make diamonds. They finally went to a mining school where they set off a concentrated explosion with 5000 lbs of explosives. It was deemed the largest explosion in Mythbuster history!

I saw that episode, and the shock-wave was impressive; but since they didn't blow up anything substantial it was a waste of 5,000 pounds of explosives. Now if they blew up another transit mixer or other large object with that much explosives, it would have been cool.

/ Finally Filled My Ballast Box #23  
with that much weight in the weight box....How much do you think your tractor will lift???????????????????????????????

/ Finally Filled My Ballast Box
"with that much weight in the weight box....How much do you think your tractor will lift??????????????????????????????? '

With the pallet forks on (which weigh about 200 lbs) it will lift about 800 lbs to about four feet or so.

I discovered this by lifting a 46 backhoe out of the back of my truck.

/ Finally Filled My Ballast Box #25  
The 46 BH is definitely heavy!

/ Finally Filled My Ballast Box #26  
If I need ballast I'll just ask my 400lb neighbor to hang off the back :eek::D

/ Finally Filled My Ballast Box #27  
I put two 24" sections of 4" plastic drain pipe vertically on the left side of the box and can carry a shovel, rake, sledgehammer, pitchfork, stakes etc. Then I filled the rest of the box with about 30 of the grapefruit-to-head-sized granite field stones that my land grows. I don't know what the weight is, but I've never tipped forward! The field stones are a lot easier to remove if I ever need to, but then, why would I need to?