Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere 2520, 1989 John Deere 185, 1960 Panzer T70B

Default Finally Filled My Ballast Box

I finally got around to filling my JD ballast box. Nothing unusual here, but thought I'd post it just as an example of the weight you can get in one. First, I had two, 82 lb bags of pre mixed concrete that had been sitting in my shop for several years and hardened up on me. So, I picked up two 90 lb bags of portland cement to augment the pre-mix.

First, I lined the inside of the box with two layers of 4 mil plastic sheet so as to prevent leakage and to facilitate removal of the concrete at a future date if so desired. Then, I mixed up one bag of portland and placed half of it in the box. After that, I took a sledge hammer and broke up the bag of pre mixed concrete and added that, then, more portland.

I then placed another layer of plastic as a bond breaker and then repeated the sequence of portland and hardened pre mix concrete. This left me with about 6 inches of extra space at the top of the box which I lined with an old floor mat from a car and then added 7, 42 lb quick tach weights from JD.

I originally bought the quick tach weights for the front of the tractor, but I think the ballast box is a good place to store them when I don't need them for front weight.

Anyway, here is the weight breakdown of the box:

Empty Box 129 lbs

Pre mix concrete (2) bags @ 82 lbs each

Portland cement (2) bags @ 90 lbs each

Quick Tach weights (7) @ 42 lbs each

Total Weight 767 lbs

Also, I just purchased one more 42 lb weight which fits perfectly with the other seven and makes a total of 809 lbs.

I figure this should be all the ballast I will ever need.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -100_0846-b-jpg   -100_0849-b-jpg  
    Runner

Tractor
    A couple

Default Re: Finally Filled My Ballast Box

I think with your ballast box and rear wheel weights, you are good to go and then some.
    Paraphrasing Douglas Adams - So long and thanks for all the bacon.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 5055e

It looks like the top edges of your ballast box are rolled forward - leaving a wide "slot" for the weights. Is this something you added or have ballast boxes changed? You lined it with plastic to allow for removal - how would you get the cement out in the future?

Looks like the cleanest prep I've seen on this board yet. Nice work.

Tractor
    Kubota B-7800

That's a beautiful job, Runner, and since I'm an outcast from the Orange forum, I wonder if you'd be so kind as to tell me what the JD weight boxes go for?
    I too have a quick hitch, and the Kubota box is a no-go.. I'd like to get the JD, drop it off at a buddy's body shop and have it sprayed orange...

Yours turned out great!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD 4310 eHydro, JD 322

Quote Originally Posted by BlacknTan View Post
    That's a beautiful job, Runner, and since I'm an outcast from the Orange forum, I wonder if you'd be so kind as to tell me what the JD weight boxes go for?
    I too have a quick hitch, and the Kubota box is a no-go.. I'd like to get the JD, drop it off at a buddy's body shop and have it sprayed orange...

Yours turned out great!

I think that is against the law in all 50 states and most of Cananda!!

Tractor
    which one?

Class work runner. My 790 has the same 6 wheel weights and 800+ lbs. ballast box but it is not weighted that fancy. Makes it solid as a rock while using the loader.

BlacknTan the JD website lists $206 for the ballast box.
    For someone to have to paint it orange to match, that's just priceless.

All joking aside, they are really nice boxes.
    “FERMENTATION MAY HAVE BEEN A GREATER DISCOVERY THAN FIRE” David Rains Wallace

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by bxowner View Post
    It looks like the top edges of your ballast box are rolled forward
    They come that way from JD.
    ::Sent from a standard desktop keyboard::

My Photobucket

Tractor
    Kubota B3030HSDC

Quote Originally Posted by BlacknTan View Post

Yours turned out great!

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!! Don't rat me out, but I have an orange green box myself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -b3030-002-jpg  

Elite Member

See, you'll come around. Next it's going to be a green tractor painted (yeck) orange.
    ::Sent from a standard desktop keyboard::

My Photobucket

Tractor
    John Deere 2520, 1989 John Deere 185, 1960 Panzer T70B

BX,

Since I have the plastic between the box and the concrete and also between layers of the concrete, it "should" act as a bond-breaker and allow me to break it up with a few smacks of a sledge hammer and chisel.

My thought was that someday in the future I might come across some used elevator weights or something like that really cheap that would be easy to add/remove to taylor the weight to exactly what I need.

Now that I have it set up this way though, I'll probably never want to do anything different, but at least I can if I want to. If it was a solid chunk of concrete, there would be no chance of getting it out.
    Runner

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast