JD 336 square baler in straw

/ JD 336 square baler in straw #1  

mcrisel

Has anyone had experience with setting up a John Deere 336 square baler for wheat straw. I am looking at using this baler for the upcoming season and would like for it to make solid, (not super heavy) consistent bales.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

/ JD 336 square baler in straw #2  
Has anyone had experience with setting up a John Deere 336 square baler for wheat straw. I am looking at using this baler for the upcoming season and would like for it to make solid, (not super heavy) consistent bales.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Try the ag forum on here - I bet somebody can help you out.

D.

/ JD 336 square baler in straw #3  
I never baled straw, but I do not think the unit will care.

I would probably leave all of the settings as if I were baling first cut grass hay and just start baling. If it is too loose or too tight, make another adjustment. I do not believe that there is anything magical about straw vs. hay and I am sure you can hurt anything on the baler.

If you have a bale ejector, then be careful not to go too heavy or you will break the throwing H arm (don't ask me how I know --- yeah I was STUPID).

/ JD 336 square baler in straw #4  
The 336 won't care, its just like bailing hay other than you will have to turn down the rear spring compressors more to get a tight bale. Depending on how the windrows are formed (raked, spreader removed from the combine...) you might miss more straw than you are used to when baling hay. Other than that bale it like you would hay.

/ JD 336 square baler in straw #5  
I don't remember making any more adjustments than cranking down the rods behind the knotters when we went from hay to straw.. but that was 25 years ago.

/ JD 336 square baler in straw #6  
You may have to adjust the stop on the arm that trips the knotters to make a longer/shorter bale as well. Adjust the spring cranks tighter to increase the density of the bale and the stop up to make a longer bale. If it's in good shape it should prove very reliable for you.

/ JD 336 square baler in straw #7  
All we ever did was to adjust the tightener screws as needed for bale weight, but remember that straw does not slide through the baler as easily as hay:(

Tom in Vermont