PTO driveline slip clutch adjustment

/ PTO driveline slip clutch adjustment #1  

JDLou

Tractor
Deere 2210
Hi All:

I orginally posted this under my "48" King Kutter Tiller" thread, but realized that it should have its own heading since the new question relates to the adjustment of slip cluthces in general. I am sure I'm not the first to present this question, and even kinda vaguely remember a discussion on this a few years ago, but I could not locate the thread (if one actually existed).

Picked up a KK 48" today (actually, yesterday now). Still have not taken it to the soil because I am busy sizing the PTO shaft, etc.

Question re slip clutch:

As it should, the PTO shaft includes a slip clutch with the dealer said was "factory set" so as to stop damage to the tiller. However, I'm obviously concerned about the tractor end as well. Anybody have a good method of making sure you slip clutch is properly set. Is it juts a question of loosening the spring bolts to the point that there is noted slippage and then tightening in small increments until you can get the job done with little or no slippage at the slip cluthc, or is there some more methodical approach to this such as torque readings on a torque wrench, etc.? I want to start off knowing that the clutch plates are not frozen and that they have to ability to slip, yes? Please advise on this.

Thank you for any input you may have,

JDLou

/ PTO driveline slip clutch adjustment #2  
JD Lou,

The approach you describe above should work well. I've got (or had) a chart that showed how much horsepower a slip clutch would transfer based on how tight the bolts were tightened against the springs... I've got the computer searching for it right now. If I can find it, I'll post it.

Even better, here's an old thread about just this very subject... which has links to the chart I was talking about.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/119531-how-properly-adjust-king-kutter.html

Last edited:
   / PTO driveline slip clutch adjustment
xrl82v2:

Thank you for yoru post, I'll check out the thread.

Best,

JDLou

/ PTO driveline slip clutch adjustment #4  
Yeah,what you described is the only way I know to do it. And will tell you this,those bolts don't gotta be as tight as you think not to slip.

/ PTO driveline slip clutch adjustment #5  
Is it juts a question of loosening the spring bolts to the point that there is noted slippage and then tightening in small increments until you can get the job done with little or no slippage at the slip cluthc,
Exactly, but lean to the side of 'no slippage'. The clutch is there to 'break' the real, real heavy loads.

Using a white paint pen to mark and a black felt pen to erase makes it easy to tell when slippage occurs.

/ PTO driveline slip clutch adjustment #6  
I'm wondering if I can adjust the clutch on my Woods HC-60 Rotary Cutter the same way?

Anyone do a Woods?
Rob

/ PTO driveline slip clutch adjustment #7  
I'm wondering if I can adjust the clutch on my Woods HC-60 Rotary Cutter the same way?

Anyone do a Woods?
Rob

I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work.

/ PTO driveline slip clutch adjustment #8  
Hi:

Comments and questions:

Comment: You can usually tell if the clutch is slipping on a non-cab tractor by that distinctive burning smell like brakes or electrical wiring.

Question: Does anyone sell a 3/4" (or 1/4") socket to spline adapter? I'd love to be able to block the implement (Generally easy) and use a torque wrench to see when the clutch slips.

If I wanted it to slip at 20hp it would be approximately 194 ft/lbs to slip it (based on 540 RPM - 20/.1028 (Approx). Seems like this would be a reliable/easy way to adjust it if you knew the torque you wanted it to slip at.

/ PTO driveline slip clutch adjustment #9  
Hi:

Comments and questions:

Comment: You can usually tell if the clutch is slipping on a non-cab tractor by that distinctive burning smell like brakes or electrical wiring.

Question: Does anyone sell a 3/4" (or 1/4") socket to spline adapter? I'd love to be able to block the implement (Generally easy) and use a torque wrench to see when the clutch slips.

If I wanted it to slip at 20hp it would be approximately 194 ft/lbs to slip it (based on 540 RPM - 20/.1028 (Approx). Seems like this would be a reliable/easy way to adjust it if you knew the torque you wanted it to slip at.

That's an interesting idea!

/ PTO driveline slip clutch adjustment #10  
;););)

Leave it to the guys on TBN to take a relatively simple procedure, and turn it into an engineering problem ! :p

'Taint rocket science, ya knows!!:eek:

Just get the clutch were it won't slip under normal conditions, but it will when it gets a "shock load" such as when you hit a hard object hidden in the soil. That's all you're looking to do. Setting the clutch any other way is still a WAG... with the torque wrench, that just makes it a SWAG.

If you read the thread I posted the link to earlier, I explain my logic in not setting it to a torque value randomly chosen from a chart... but rather setting it to match your field conditions. I think that's the best way to attack this problem.

Have fun with it!