2520 stalling...?

/ 2520 stalling...? #1  

Jksnvly

Silver Member
Tractor
07 2520
I have a 2520 at my place upstate that I was using with the rotary mower on Saturday. It has 61hrs on it. Was dealer serviced at 50hrs.. While mowing it would frequently shut off, like it was starved for fuel. I shut pto off, placed in neutral and it would immediately restart, with a little cranking. Anyone shed some light on possibilities? fuel filter? bad switch? thanks.

/ 2520 stalling...? #2  
Both fuel issue as well as a bad seat switch would be good guesses, but it's also possible that you just hit something like a stump or a rock with the rotary cutter which caused it to stall out before the slip-clutch/shear-pin gave way. Did you notice any pattern to the stalls?

/ 2520 stalling...? #3  
Maybe the seat switch I know my 2320 has no mercy. If I come off the seat the tractor dies, no getting back on or repositioning myself in an attempt to recover, apparently there is no recovering, once it's shutting down, down it goes.

/ 2520 stalling...?
No stumps/rocks, we've been cutting these same fields for a couple years now. It happened while my wife was cutting alot, not as much for me. I could see the switch possibly occuring with her, but she cuts real slow. My butt doesn't leave the seat. Leaning towards a fuel issue. Hate to have to drag the thing all the way home...Going to visit the dealer in a bit.

/ 2520 stalling...? #5  
No stumps/rocks, we've been cutting these same fields for a couple years now. It happened while my wife was cutting alot, not as much for me. I could see the switch possibly occuring with her, but she cuts real slow. My butt doesn't leave the seat. Leaning towards a fuel issue. Hate to have to drag the thing all the way home...Going to visit the dealer in a bit.

I suggest jumpering out the seat switch first. Assuming your wife weighs less then you or is shorter (she positions herself more forward on the seat) she would experience more shut-downs.

/ 2520 stalling...? #6  
check the seat switch maby something it pulling wire i had a prob with my 2320 the 4wd lite kept blinking, turns out the low range handle was hiting the wire .

/ 2520 stalling...? #7  
I've never liked the idea of bypassing a safety device entirely, especially if my wife were driving (cruise control plus rotary cutter plus bypassed safety switch plus ground bumpy enough to cause you to bounce around in the seat isn't my favorite combination). You can test this out by starting up the tractor, engaging the rotary cutter and putting it in gear with the parking brake on. Then stand up and see if the stall sounds the same as what you experienced before. If it is, my preference would be to modify the seat switch so it disengages with less weight, perhaps it's not mounted correctly or putting something on top of it- test with a little wad of aluminum foil (I'd have to take a closer look at my own switch to see how I'd do it). Of course, cinching down the seat belt a little tighter or making sure your wife knows how to adjust the seat position may also work.

If you know a spot where it routinely stalls out you can always bypass the safety switch temporarily to test to see if it's the cause.

/ 2520 stalling...?
I went to the dealer and came away with a new fuel filter, they seem to feel it's a fuel delivery issue due to the fact that it takes a bit more cranking to get it to re-start. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try them next week.

/ 2520 stalling...?
UPDATE- My problem was caused by a couple of pieces of what appeared to be a heavy gauge paper towel in the fuel tank! Haven't a clue how they got in there? Evidently as I drove around they would migrate over the fuel outlet hole and cause the tractor to stall. Fashioned a barbed 'spear' out of a coat hanger and fished them out of an empty tank.

/ 2520 stalling...? #10  
I'm sure that was a PITA to isolate, but the repair cost had to make you feel pretty good.