/ Deere compact tractor fuel filter #1  

KB9UDE

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320 John Deere x758
How does it work??
Does the fuel come into the bowl and then get filtered going to the engine

OR

Does the fuel go throught the filter into the bowl??

I have a problem tonight with my newer 2320. As I am mowing all of the sudden the engine cuts out and lowers the rpms to about 1K and then after a few seconds goes back to full throttle. This happens every 30-60 seconds at full throttle but if I back down to around 2K the engine runs fine.

Here is what I observed--
At full throttle I could watch the diesel fuel level in the fuel bowl around the filter drop to the bottom of the filter and then lose rpms. At 2K rpm there is never a drop in fuel level...

Thanks for the help.

John

/ Deere compact tractor fuel filter #2  
The following is from the technical manual on the 3x20 series.

Fuel from the fuel tank flows to the fuel shutoff valve (A) in
the top of the fuel strainer/water separator (B). An air bleed
screw (C) in the top of the housing is used for bleeding air
out of the fuel strainer/water separator when tractor is run
out of fuel or fuel filters are serviced. An electric fuel
transfer pump (D) pumps low pressure fuel to the
secondary fuel filter (E) and then to the fuel injector pump
inlet (F). The injection pump then directs high pressure fuel
through the injector lines (G) to the fuel injector nozzles for
combustion. Excess fuel from the injector pump is
combined with leak off fuel from the injectors, through a
junction fitting (H) and is routed through the top of the
secondary filter base, back to the fuel tank.

/ Deere compact tractor fuel filter #3  
Oh, and make certain the air vent on the fuel cap is not plugged with dirt or something. Sounds like you might have an air lock. As a test you can loosen the fuel cap up a bit or take it off and see if the problem still occurs.

/ Deere compact tractor fuel filter
I took the fuel cap off first and it made no change.

/ Deere compact tractor fuel filter #5  
Fuel flows into the bowl first allowing water and major sediment to collect first then on to the primary and secondary fuel filters. If the bowl has clean fuel in it without water I would loosen the air vent with the key on and engine not running to allow the air to escape. When you have fuel to the top and air bubbles all purged then close the vent. With no air space the fuel should draw much better.

Steve

/ Deere compact tractor fuel filter #6  
Here is what I observed--
At full throttle I could watch the diesel fuel level in the fuel bowl around the filter drop to the bottom of the filter and then lose rpms. At 2K rpm there is never a drop in fuel level...
Your fuel 'supply' can't keep up with your fuel 'demand'.

There is something 'slowing' down the flow between tank and 'sediment' bowl.

I'm betting you got some poopoo in the bottom of your tank.

/ Deere compact tractor fuel filter
Is there a pump in the tank or is it gravity flow??

I suspected there might be some crud in the tank but am not sure yet...

/ Deere compact tractor fuel filter #8  
If you think you have trash blocking the tank remve the sediment bowl and put a large bucket beneath it to catch the fuel and see if it flows fast enough.

That is why I said "if the fuel is clean" in above post, usually if you have trash and sediment in the tank you would see some of it in the sediment bowl. If you have air intrained in the bowl and filter it can expand and contract enough to cause the problem you have explained, whereas with all fuel and no air space it will draw much better.

You may have trash in the tank and may need to drain and clean it out but try to purge the air first, that would be a lot easier thing to try first. If this doesn't work then I would drain the tank into some fuel cans and clean the tank.

/ Deere compact tractor fuel filter #9  
Cocre,
The 3 series runs a different injector system. The 2520 and 2720 do too. The 2320 is not auto bleed if you run out of fuel.

KB9:
As far as I know there is no pump in the tank. You can check it easily by looking for wires running into the tank.

The fuel filter goes from outside in. The unfiltered "poopoo" (thanks Willl) is outside so you can see it. You can't see the good stuff on the inside where it has been filtered.

I agree there may be a vacuum keeping the fuel from getting through or you may have a clogged filter or water in it.

How many hours do you have on the tractor? How careful are you about the fuel and keeping it clean when it goes into the tank? Have you cleaned the filter?
You could also have gotten bad fuel. Just to be sure get it somewhere different for awhile.

Rob

/ Deere compact tractor fuel filter #10  
I have twice had the same problem with my 2320. After running fine for 1/2 hour or more the engine suddenly cut off, and will not restart. Both times I waited a few minutes, and then it restarted and ran fine. Dealer suggested I replace the fuel filter, which I did tonight and will test it tomorrow.

Also when you replace the filter the Operators Manual says to remove the locking collar on the fuel filter bowl by turning it "counterclockwise". This is WRONG, you turn it clockwise to remove it!