Starting issue with almost new JD 3520

/ Starting issue with almost new JD 3520 #1  

Nokindadancer

Tractor
JD 3520
My tractor has less than 120 hours on it. I bought it new.
Last yr a few times while shredding I would stop turn off the PTO and move something that was in the way. If I left it idling for a little while it would die and I would have to let it sit awhile before it would start.
Today I leave work early to come home and shred, it won't start at all. I used it 3 hours last night so it is not an over wintering problem.
The solenoid clicks and the battery light comes on like normal.
On the panel it says nEuteOF.

It's hydrostat so I've never had to have it in neutral to crank it before.
Just the PTO off.

Any ideas ?

Thanks
Gary

/ Starting issue with almost new JD 3520 #2  
Make certain that the forward and reverse drive pedals are not in a bind. If one is sensed as pressed the tractor will not start.

If not that, I would remove the existing battery from the tractor and replace it with a known good battery. Do not try just to jumper the battery, remove the old battery. My 3320 went about crazy a few weeks back due to a bad battery. A new battery fixed my problem.

/ Starting issue with almost new JD 3520
Thanks for the reply. I finally called my salesman and he recommended moving between A N B C while turning the key. Magic it worked. I had moved the gear shift multiple times , but not while turning the key.
I encountered this issue you mentioned with the foot pedals a little while back.
Maybe I'm out of the woods.

Thank You.

/ Starting issue with almost new JD 3520 #4  
The solenoid clicks and the battery light comes on like normal.
On the panel it says nEuteOF.

The word on the IP means that it is not in neutral. If it was a PRT it will have a neutral safety switch this unit is a HST and has a jumper instead of a switch on the wiring harness under the left side foot deck. It is tied back to itself. It is making a bad connection or one of the terminals is pushed back in the connector. Deere uses the same harness on both units.
Hope this helps.

The range ANBC lever or forward and reverse drive pedals do not have anything to do with the starting on this unit.

Last edited:
   / Starting issue with almost new JD 3520 #5  
The actual message on my 3520 PowerReverser is "nEutOF" without the e. It definitely means the transmission is not in neutral. But how can this gibberish mean that ? What do the letters stand for ? Can't computers speak a language humans can understand?

/ Starting issue with almost new JD 3520 #6  
I looked at the schematics on the 3x20 series, and according to them Jdman4x20 is right. There is a jumper on the eHydro units instead of a neutral switch, and neither the forward/reverse pedals nor the shift range selector are part of the starting circuit. But I am almost, almost certain that I tried cranking my 3320 with my foot resting on the forward pedal and all I got were lights on the display, once I removed my foot the tractor cranked. A few weeks later I did have battery problems; perhaps this was only a precursor to that event and not related to the pedal position at all.

I am currently 20 miles from the tractor, but sometime over the next few days I am going to verify the pedal thing. I am going to be more careful in starting the tractor while off the seat. I hate to think that some unseen debris or a fault in the pedal signal would let the tractor run over me. I hardly ever move the tractor out of B range; I crank it in B and turn it off in B.

/ Starting issue with almost new JD 3520 #7  
The actual message on my 3520 PowerReverser is "nEutOF" without the e. It definitely means the transmission is not in neutral. But how can this gibberish mean that ? What do the letters stand for ? Can't computers speak a language humans can understand?

There are not enough segments in the display to show the text message completely. The message means that the neutral switch is not being actuated when the keyswitch is in the start position.

Complaint or Symptom :
nEutof message appears in the display window when trying to start the engine.

Problem or Situation :
nEutof message appears in the display window when trying to start the engine.

There are not enough segments in the display to show the text message completely. The message means that the neutral switch is not being actuated when the keyswitch is in the start position.

The instrument panel is not receiving an input from the neutral safety switch (519 white wire). The instrument panel controls the start circuit so the cranking function is disabled.

Solution :
Gear Models:

1. Verify that the Power Reverser lever is in neutral.

2. Test the neutral safety switch located on the Power Reverser valve.

3. Refer to the Technical Manual main schematic and test the 562 red harness circuit to the neutral safety switch and the 519 white harness circuit to the instrument panel.

eHST Models:

This error may also appear on the eHST models. eHST models use the same main electrical harness but the neutral safety switch wires (562 Red and 519 White) are shorted together through a harness cap LVA10197.

1. Check the harness cap (located under the left foot deck) for being loose or damaged.

2. Refer to the Technical Manual main schematic and test the 562 red harness circuit to the neutral safety switch harness cap (located under the left foot deck) and the 519 white harness circuit to the instrument panel.

/ Starting issue with almost new JD 3520 #8  
Just got off the tractor, and the 3320 will crank with a pedal pressed, but the tractor will not move until the pedal is released and pressed again. I don't have to worry about getting run over after all.