2320 won't start

/ 2320 won't start #1  

JohnnyD2320

Tractor
Hi Folks, been quite a while since I posted. First real issue with the 2320 and I need some suggestions on where to start.
Tractor was dead when trying to start earlier today. Had the battery charger on it for several hours. Meter on charger showed charged. Just had clicking when we turned the key over.
Used my portable jump start battery pack and it fired up. Went out to mow and was good for an hour. When the throttles was lowered to an idle it stalled and would not start again without the jump start pack.
Checked battery with bulb tester and all cells show as being fine. Charger's guage shows battery charged. No lights on tractor until the battery charge pack is connected now. battery seems fine, but no start without booster pack. Terminals look good. I have battery on trickle even though it seems ok although the no lights is throwing me off. Bought tractor 2/06. Thanks for any assistance.
One more thing. Glow plug light was on when we got tractor running. Light stayed on.

Jim

/ 2320 won't start #2  
Deere batteries are known to be junk. I would take the battery down to a shop and have them test it. Probably bad.. However, it is odd that the GP light stayed on. If it truly is staying on all the time, this would be too much draw for the alternator to handle..

/ 2320 won't start #3  
Deere batteries are known to be junk.

I disagree. I think they are fine and he checked his battery which was ok.

The 22's had a problem with overflowing but Deere fixed the trouble. I've been using their batteries for years with no problems.

Jim, your glow plug should not stay on, check the relay. Also put an amp meter in series with the plus lead. Make sure you don't have something draining the battery with the engine off or on.
Put a voltmeter on your battery when the engine is running abuot 2k, you should see it over about 13.4 volts or so. A simple bulb really isn't checking anything. You can get a cheap meter at Radio Shack for under 20 bucks.
Rob

/ 2320 won't start #4  
hello i had the same prob with my jd 990 clicking batery was 1 yr old bought a heavy duttie everready and it still lasting 3 yrs.

/ 2320 won't start #5  
Guys are right, JD batteries are problematic. Mine recently died without warning, symptoms identical to yours. Find a AGM battery to replace the JD.

/ 2320 won't start #6  
Guys are right, JD batteries are problematic. Mine recently died without warning, symptoms identical to yours. Find a AGM battery to replace the JD.

That's the thing about Deere, if they have a problem they fix it. How old is your tractor?
The battery in my 2006 2320 is not the same one I got when I went to a 2720.

Batteries are out sourced and Deere's are no different. A battery company that has failures doesn't deal with Deere very long.

Glass mat batteries are still leaded batteries with a gel for the acid. Over charge them and you build up gasses that exit the battery and can't return. Kiss the battery good bye. Is you tractor designed to charge a Glass mat battery correctly? They have different float voltages then flooded batteries (lead/acid), charge them constantly to the wrong level and their life drops...... drastically. Glass mats have much more that can go wrong with them and that's why the alternate energy users haven't embraced them fully. Concorde's are know to crack just about the time the warranty expires. I run Rolls in my solar system. Plain old lead/acid batteries that last.

When you say your battery died, what was the problem? A bad cell? What was the voltage? Did it hold a charge? There isn't a lot that can go wrong with batteries. I've seen a lot of people trade in perfectly good batteries when all that was wrong was a poor terminal connection.
What kills batteries is super fast charging. The bottom of the battery fills with metal because the plates warp and lead flakes off shorting the cell.
Putting in a larger battery isn't alway the best route. Charging systems are usually designed for specific capacity batteries.
Rob

/ 2320 won't start
Here's the fix. Bad battery. Took it back to Deere and they checked it and said it was bad. Now have a new one and all is good. The original crapped out at 40 months from the time we received the tractor.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

/ 2320 won't start #8  
Here's the fix. Bad battery. Took it back to Deere and they checked it and said it was bad. Now have a new one and all is good. The original crapped out at 40 months from the time we received the tractor.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Glad to hear it.
A couple of things. Over charging can lead to premature failures. Did your dealer ask to check the charging system?
My dealer is a great guy but he knows beans about batteries and electronics.

Now here's the big question. How long does your tractor sit between uses? A month, most of the winter, never? Because what happens to batteries that sit is that sulfer builds up on the plates and if they sit too long then the sulfer gets so deeply embedded on the plates that the battery can no longer take a charge.
I'll bet your dealer never asked how long it sits.

By the way only 30% of all batteries last 48 months:

"Only 30% of batteries sold today reach the 48-month mark. In fact 80% of all battery failure is related to sulfation build-up."

batterystuff.com

Rob

/ 2320 won't start
I'm in Western NY. It has been fairly wet this spring/early summer so there is a lot of mowing, plus with the loader it get use at least every other day. It may go a week or two without use if there is not snow, but not real likely. I don't believe the dealers asked anything about the charging system, but not positive. It was a Saturday and the place was packed with customers waiting.

I use a battery Minder on my Travel Trailer batteries over the winter. maybe I should consider one for johnny.