Calling all JD 4x20 owners!

/ Calling all JD 4x20 owners! #1  

FRIZ

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4720 Cab
The big day is approaching. On Monday my JD4720 and most attachments will be delivered.

I have picked up the manual from my JD dealer. And I am almost through but there are a lot of things I just do not understand. :confused:

It is tough to be a "city slicker" with his first tractor. :D

I would appreciate all constructive tips & advice for the new chapter "tractor owner" in my life.:)

Thanks & regards,
FRIZ

/ Calling all JD 4x20 owners! #2  
You made an excellent choice getting the 4720 tractor. You just have to get on it and run it to learn how to operate it. Pay attention to the periodic maintenance schedule and the tractor will serve you well.

/ Calling all JD 4x20 owners! #3  
I would suggest you watch for overhead obstructions and keep the small fry at a distance while you learn the ropes.

Have fun with your new tractor.

Steve

/ Calling all JD 4x20 owners! #4  
From one relative tractor newbie to another...Congratulations Fritz!

I bought a 4120 about a month ago and I absolutely love it. I bought it to bush hog with and I have the 400X FEL on it too. In just the short time I have had mine, I've found 100 other uses for it that I never considered. Just this weekend, it spents it's time helping me roof my barn. It lifted the shingles up to the working area, served as a scaffold and a base for holding the ladder as I worked up the roof. It made a hard job 10x more managable.

My #1 suggestion, keep it in low range and lower gears while you are learning. I also ride motorcycles and am used to all 4 limbs performing simultaneous different functions, but the tractor has a lot of levers that are all new to the senses, unless you've driven heavy equipment before. I still find myself having to think (a lot) about almost every lever I lay hand on.

/ Calling all JD 4x20 owners! #5  
Wear your seatbelt with the ROPS up.

Check the tire pressure and lug nuts.

If you are doing loader work - make sure the machine is ballast properly or you could turn it over really easily.

When in doubt, go slow.

Don't be afraid to get the RPMs up on the engine - it needs it for PTO speed and hydraulic system performance.

Wear hearing protection.

Clean the radiator out on a regular occasion.

Resist the temptation to give friends rides on the tractor - they can fall off and get run over.

Keep one thing in mind - this thing can kill you so don't do anything stupid with it. At least not too stupid. :)

D.

/ Calling all JD 4x20 owners! #6  
If you're storing it inside or under a shed, measure your ceiling / rafter height in the barn / storage shed and compare it with your ROP height. My 4320 ROP in the raised position has 2 inches to spare.

Until you learn the lay of the land, keep your hand on the lever that raises the 3 point hitch while using the bush hog / mower.

Be careful backing up with the bush hog / mower in the down position.

Be careful turning with the bush hog attached. My dealer said most damage to the bush hog / mower is caused by backing or running it into something while turning.

Don't let it run out of fuel.

You're gonna love your tractor. Congrats to you.