Help for the new guy

/ Help for the new guy #1  

swomack

Tractor
John Deere 2320
I just purchased a 2320 with the 62D MMM and a FEL. I have 3 acres surrounded by woods to mow. I got it out Saturday morning to mow and made three laps around the back yard (about 1 acre). On the fourth lap the tractor overheated. The entire grill was clogged up with bits of grass and leaves. I blew it off with my leaf blower, let it cool, and started again. Two more laps, I check it and it's almost full again. I noticed that when I'm mowing there is a steady stream of this crap coming up between the tractor and FEL. I wound up stoping and cleaning the grill 7-8 times. I was mowing with engine turning around 3k (at the PTO marker). Any suggestions on what can be done about this? Thanks in advance!

/ Help for the new guy #2  
What kind of grass are you cutting?

D.

/ Help for the new guy
Just regular old grass. I did a search for overheating and found I'm not the only one with this problem...

/ Help for the new guy #4  
If you took the bucket off that might help, but you are right, they do suck up a lot of chaff when mowing on a windy day.

/ Help for the new guy #5  
I had problems with my 2210 over heating if I was using the lX-4 and shredding a thick pasture. Otherwise - it was fine.

D.

/ Help for the new guy #6  
I used to get a lot of grass getting sucked up against the screen. I installed the mulching kit and now rarely have the problem.

/ Help for the new guy #7  
Yes, I was going to suggest removing the bucket in case that is creating some sort of vacuum channel behind it.

But,.. I have not done it ...yet,..but considered placing a piece of screen, (window screen perhaps) from under the rad, up past the front of the grill gaurd. That would catch much of what comes up from below and still allow good air flow from the sides and top. It may allow you a little more travel time before you have to clean again.

Easy enough to tie it on for a trial with a few garbage ties.
Just a thought?
. . tug

/ Help for the new guy #8  
I'm also of the mind that the bucket is creating a draft between the bucket and grill, thats allowing that dry chaft multipe opportunities to end up in the grill. Can you just 'lose' the bucket, and leave the arms attached? ~S

/ Help for the new guy #9  
I've seen dedicated mowing machines with dual-direction cooling fans, essentially the radiator fan can reverse at high speeds and blow out the clog. Before I moved I was tempted to find a radiator fan and mount it backwards against the front grill with a push-button to activate it on demand, but either the new grass type or the cool and wet summer seems to have fixed the problem for me.