Tractor
    John Deere 2320

Default Help for the new guy

I just purchased a 2320 with the 62D MMM and a FEL. I have 3 acres surrounded by woods to mow. I got it out Saturday morning to mow and made three laps around the back yard (about 1 acre). On the fourth lap the tractor overheated. The entire grill was clogged up with bits of grass and leaves. I blew it off with my leaf blower, let it cool, and started again. Two more laps, I check it and it's almost full again. I noticed that when I'm mowing there is a steady stream of this crap coming up between the tractor and FEL. I wound up stoping and cleaning the grill 7-8 times. I was mowing with engine turning around 3k (at the PTO marker). Any suggestions on what can be done about this? Thanks in advance!

Elite Member
    Tractor
    JD 5525 and 5093e Kubota SVL75

Default Re: Help for the new guy

What kind of grass are you cutting?

D.
    ----------------------------------
    Darin Divinia
    DDR Longhorns
    Registered Texas Longhorns
    http://www.ddrlonghorns.com/
    Follow us on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/DDRLonghorns?ref=ts

Tractor
    John Deere 2320

Just regular old grass. I did a search for overheating and found I'm not the only one with this problem...

Tractor
    JD 2720

If you took the bucket off that might help, but you are right, they do suck up a lot of chaff when mowing on a windy day.
    HAVE FUN

Life is easier when you plow around the stumps.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    JD 5525 and 5093e Kubota SVL75

I had problems with my 2210 over heating if I was using the lX-4 and shredding a thick pasture. Otherwise - it was fine.

D.
    Darin Divinia
    DDR Longhorns
    Registered Texas Longhorns
    http://www.ddrlonghorns.com/
    Follow us on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/DDRLonghorns?ref=ts

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 3320, JD 2040, Ford 8N

I used to get a lot of grass getting sucked up against the screen. I installed the mulching kit and now rarely have the problem.
    JD 3320 JD 2040 Ford 8N

Tractor
    Many over the years, + '05 JD-4410 TLB, but quite proud of my big green "Rolls": AKA: 2006 JD-3520 Cab, HST, Tunes & 2-way tiltmeter, Cobra communications and 6" (x2) rear wheel spacers for a lot less pucker-factor!!

Yes, I was going to suggest removing the bucket in case that is creating some sort of vacuum channel behind it.

But,.. I have not done it ...yet,..but considered placing a piece of screen, (window screen perhaps) from under the rad, up past the front of the grill gaurd. That would catch much of what comes up from below and still allow good air flow from the sides and top. It may allow you a little more travel time before you have to clean again.

Easy enough to tie it on for a trial with a few garbage ties.
    Just a thought?
    . . tug

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    318 John Deere, 4200 John Deere, 1947 John Deere "M"

I'm also of the mind that the bucket is creating a draft between the bucket and grill, thats allowing that dry chaft multipe opportunities to end up in the grill. Can you just 'lose' the bucket, and leave the arms attached? ~S

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2520

I've seen dedicated mowing machines with dual-direction cooling fans, essentially the radiator fan can reverse at high speeds and blow out the clog. Before I moved I was tempted to find a radiator fan and mount it backwards against the front grill with a push-button to activate it on demand, but either the new grass type or the cool and wet summer seems to have fixed the problem for me.
    Thanks,

Jeff

JD 2520, 62D OnRamp MMM with MCS, 200CX Loader with 53" bucket and forks, RT1250 tiller, DR PTO Chipper/Shredder, iMatch/Pat's EZ Change, 46 BH, Top-N-Tilt