4300 / 430 FEL / 48 BH

/ 4300 / 430 FEL / 48 BH #1  

Whitey

Gold Member
Tractor
Kabota B21 TLB
OK John Deere 4300 owners.........now is your time to sound off. I am considering a 2001 4300 with a 430 FEL and 48 BH. I sure that the price is fair and I am aware of the tractor's specifications.........so I want to know what you like or dislike about this tractor. It's ease of operation, maintenance costs, parts cost, has it held it's value to you, ergonomics, and if you had it to do over again.......would you buy the same again or something different?

I also would like to know any details about the operation of a 48 BH on the tractor, from the pictures the entire unit seems long and possibly difficult to use in tight places......is this true?

All input will be helpful in my decision.

Thanx

/ 4300 / 430 FEL / 48 BH #2  
I have had my 4300 and 430 loader since 2001. Bought new. No BH.
Been a great machine. Dealer took care of front axle issue on PIP. Battery was replaced when it started to leak also a known issue handled on warranty). Had to change out the glass (plastic) in dashboard area that was fogging up. I would not hesitate to buy one again.

/ 4300 / 430 FEL / 48 BH #3  
I also would like to know any details about the operation of a 48 BH on the tractor, from the pictures the entire unit seems long and possibly difficult to use in tight places......

I don't know if you stated in other postings, but does the hoe use the
factory subframe? Any pix of where it attaches? Any apparent distress
to the rear axle castings where the subframe attaches? Remember: the
housings are aluminum and problems have been reported!

/ 4300 / 430 FEL / 48 BH #4  
I have a 4310 with the 430 loader. I bought it used with 450 hrs. 20 months later 670 hrs. no problems. I love this tractor and am amazed at how much you can do. I would love a backhoe but too much $ to add one now.

/ 4300 / 430 FEL / 48 BH #5  
I bought a used 200 JD4300 Hydro MFWD 2 years ago with 430 loader and 675 hours. Bought a used 48 backhoe last month and am in the process of replacing some hoses, bushings etc. I have a 60" &-iron MMM. I have a little over 200 hours use mowing, loader work, box blading, raking, bush hogging and rototilling, snow removal, as well as a little digging with the backhoe. Overall I have been very happy with the tractor and its capabilities. She is a great mower, and loader work comes very natural with the hydro.

Problems I have had, am having or have fixed.

Known battery issue. I did have some corrosion on battery tray from the old battery spilling acid, fortunately, oil cooler was spared. I cleaned up battery tray, painted and put in an optima yellow top.

I have what has been referred to here at TBN as the "dreaded drop recover" issue with my 3 point hitch. There was an update of the hydraulic filter the goes before the rockshaft control valve to replace an inline screen that was known to dislodge or become torn allowing debris into the RCV. Mine did not have the new filter, and had a hole in the screen. Im afraid I will be needing to replace the RCV if replacing the relief valve does not fix the problem. I have since added the upgraded filter to the power beyond hose for the backhoe. I would check to see if you have the upgraded filter, if not it is something I would address before pursuing any 3 point work.

Fuel gage quit working. Think it is just a bad gauge sensor but need to test and make sure I dont have a short some where.

Traction. I have turf tires which are great for mowing and have done much better than I had anticipated for loader work, ground engagement and snow removal thanks to the MFWD. That being said, I would really love to get some R-4s, but as you know this requires new rims in addition to new tires and wont be happening until I wear my turfs out.

Vertical 3-point stabilizers. I am being picky now, but I really dislike them and will eventually update to the 3X20 versions that are horizontal ( easier to pin/ unpin). The are just a pain when hooking up 3-point implements of different widths.

My 2 cents for what its worth. If you have any specific questions I'd be more than happy to try and answer. TBN has been excellent and with the proper searches you should be able to find more info about the battery issue and 3point hydraulic filter issue.

Good luck and enjoy the new tractor. Pics are always appreciated of course!!

/ 4300 / 430 FEL / 48 BH
I don't know if you stated in other postings, but does the hoe use the
factory subframe? Any pix of where it attaches? Any apparent distress
to the rear axle castings where the subframe attaches? Remember: the
housings are aluminum and problems have been reported!

Well put........to answer your question....no there is no subframe. Unlike my former JD 770 the 4300 has a "rock shaft assist" backhoe that attaches to the rear end casting by way of steel pins. From what I know this system is very conveinent. As far as strength is concerned........I am not qualified to judge. Nevertheless...I found out last night that the seller will be holding on to this tractor for a while. He had two for sale.......a smaller one and this one.....and someone is buying the smaller one and he still needs one while he still owns his house which is up for sale. (I guess to keep the driveway clear) He said when the house is sold he will call me to buy the trator.

Thank you all for your posts.

/ 4300 / 430 FEL / 48 BH #7  
My friend had the 4300/430/47 hoe. The only issue he had were the rear wheel bolts coming loose ( he had a wheel actually fall off once). Other that that it was a fine machine.

You may want to check where the 430 loader towers attach to the tractor. On mine,the "claw foot" that attaches to the square mount brackets wore down to the point were there is a lot of slop in the fit of the loader.
I rigged some "temporary" shims and it helped a great deal.

Chuck

/ 4300 / 430 FEL / 48 BH #8  
I bought a 4300 with a 430-FEL & a 47-BH new in 2001.

It has been a great tractor and i have done some large jobs with it digging a pond & swimming pools, and many other jobs.

I have 850 hours and i have only busted one hose on the BH... I was warned early about the battery leaking so i changed it before i had a problem with it....I keep my maintenance up and haven't had any problems.

I also use my tractor to plow & disc the garden, and i use a bush-hog with it also... I'm planning to buy a 72'MMM this winter & have it ready for next years grass season.(i should have bought the MMM instead of another riding mower last year)

Taking off the backhoe is very easy & quick once you use to it....I have never took off my FEL and really don't plan to.

I didn't like how the exhaust came out the bottom, so i bought the vertical exhaust kit.

I have been very satisfied with my 4300.

/ 4300 / 430 FEL / 48 BH #9  
What happened Whitey? I thought you were going to check mine out, I was all ready to show you the ropes!