JD950 Won't Start

/ JD950 Won't Start #1  

JD950

I'm a bit of a "if it can't be fixed with a hammer" its beyond me mechanically tractor owner. Fortunately that has not been put to the test until now. (I always figured real mechanical skills would be learned one day on a 8N or maybe a JD340 restoration when not working so much at a day job.)

Anyhow, my 1986 JD 950 will no longer start. Lights come on and it was running fine when last put away. When attempting to start it initially there was a brief click, like the starter kicking in, then nothing. Its out of gear, throttle up ... so I don't think this is a safety switch issue. Starter maybe?

Any tips on confirming the starter theory or other suggestings before I begin stripping parts off will be great.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

/ JD950 Won't Start #2  
Well JD, first things first. The battery: is it fully charged? (lights take very little amps to work) The "When attempting to start it initially there was a brief click, like the starter kicking in, then nothing" could be.. the battery.. the connections.. the solenoid... the starter. In that general order those things should be tested. Sub-systems are.. the alternator and ... fuses.

Do you know how to jump start off another battery?
Obviously make sure all lock out switches are in the proper position, ie: pto off, out of gear, etc. (you would not get a click from the starter if .. say the pto was on)

Once you've tested or charged or jumpered the battery..let us know.

/ JD950 Won't Start
Good advice, I was orginally going to jump it but felt the lights being on was a good indicator. That coupled with the hood not being able to rotate all the way forward, due to the way the FEL frame is sitting right now, limiting access to the battery had me looking at other options. I'll check the battery off the list first. Or, maybe that will prove to be the issue yet.

I am a bit nagged by a situation a few months back (the tractor does not get a lot of use right now) when it also would not start. After a couple raps on the starter it did fire up. Whether those raps were at all connected to it starting or not is anyones guess.

Thanks again

Last edited:
   / JD950 Won't Start #4  
Good advice, I was orginally going to jump it but felt the lights being on was a good indicator. That coupled with the hood not being able to rotate all the way forward, due to the way the FEL frame is sitting right now, limiting access to the battery had me looking at other options. I'll check the battery off the list first. Or, maybe that will prove to be the issue yet.

I am a bit nagged by a situation a few months back (the tractor does not get a lot of use right now) when it also would not start. After a couple raps on the starter it did fire up. Whether those raps were at all connected to it starting or not is anyones guess.

Thanks again

That's a good indicator that the starter is the culprit.;)

/ JD950 Won't Start #5  
Years ago my Uncle's 950 would not start. I checked the fuses on the left side of the pedestal and one was blown. I replaced it and it fired right up. It was an earlier model but may be the same.

/ JD950 Won't Start #6  
My family also owns a 1980's JD 950 and we have exactly the same problem.
We bought the tractor new, kept it in a shed, maintained it as good as we could

The battery was fine, the fuses were fine - it was something else electrical - starter related.

It has been an ongoing problem for at least the last 10 years - and still not fully fixed.

This is the weakest part of the tractor.

Let me know if you get yours fully fixed. Maybe I can get mine fixed for good as well.

We always breath a sigh of relief when the bugger starts up.

Good luck

Yooper Dave

/ JD950 Won't Start
Well, it may be the battery this time around. According to the install date, the battery is over six years old so that is where I placing my bets for now.

I jumped it using my old Toyota and was able to get it to turn over. Even after being connected for 1/2hr it did not have enough juice to fully start but it clicks off like it wants to. Just not enough power there to start as it would normally. Am I being to optimistic that it is the battery at this stage?

I'll get a new battery next week on the way to work and post an update when installed.

Thanks everyone for the comments and interest so far.

/ JD950 Won't Start #8  
   / JD950 Won't Start #9  
Well, it may be the battery this time around. According to the install date, the battery is over six years old so that is where I placing my bets for now.

I jumped it using my old Toyota and was able to get it to turn over. Even after being connected for 1/2hr it did not have enough juice to fully start but it clicks off like it wants to. Just not enough power there to start as it would normally. Am I being to optimistic that it is the battery at this stage?

I'll get a new battery next week on the way to work and post an update when installed.

Thanks everyone for the comments and interest so far.

Even if it's not the battery.. it's six years old. Yes' I know some batteries last a few years longer, but I'd put one in just because it's old. A weak/sulfated battery may be too weak to jump with long cables. Installing a known good battery will tell the tale...So will a good battery load tester.. however it's an old battery that should be replaced as a maintenance service.. forget buying a battery tester (unless you want to own one) .. install a new battery, and give it a try.. if no crank then make sure the starter is getting a good trigger signal, if it is replace/or rebuild starter.

/ JD950 Won't Start
This time around it was nothing more than a dead battery, lucky me :) I did read the string suggested and will keep an eye out for wiring issues. If that happens, the tips in the other string will be what I'll try first.

Thanks all