JD 5105 brake catching?

/ JD 5105 brake catching? #1  

andrewj

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 5105
Hi folks...

I have a 5105 made around 2004 - lately (month or two) I noticed a groaning sound coming from the right rear wheel assembly when the tractor coasts to a stop - like when I dis-engage the clutch, but before I can press the foot brake pedal, the machine comes to a stop all on it's own, with the friction/groaning sound.

I called my JD service and they were stumped....it has wet brakes, and mechanical linkage from the pedal to the brake.

The service guy suggested trying something that to me, sounds backwards - he said try shortening the connecting rod between pedal and rear brake.

Normally if the brake pad wears out, you would need to lengthen the rod, not shorten it. B

Has anyone else encountered such a problem, and why in the world would a wet brake be catching?

Oil level is good...

/ JD 5105 brake catching?
no replies, LOL!

OK, got it fixed - here's the result...

somehow, the right brake linkage "became too long." haha, impossible I know...but simply disconnected it, unscrewed it two rotations, and voila! problem solved! the JD guy was as perplexed as me since you usually have to lengthen the rod when the pads wear.

hope this helps someone!

/ JD 5105 brake catching? #3  
Glad it was an easy fix.

And more importantly, glad you noticed it before you garfed up your right brake.

/ JD 5105 brake catching? #4  
Mine did that and the brakes quit working. Rather than shorten the rod adjustment I took it apart and I'm glad I did. The brake pads had come loose in pieces from the metal discs and were scattered all over the inside of the final drive housing. I could have adjusted the discs but it would be metal against metal if I had.

I am waiting on new disc pads to come in from the dealer. ($300.00 for four pads.)
I'm not replacing the discs, just the two pads on each side.

The brakes are fun to get to also. You have to remove the seat/shifter/pto handle/fuel and fuel tank/roll bar and lights/fenders/tires/and final drive housings on each axle to get to them... and in my case, the backhoe attachment. :)