John Deere 970 Befco, Woods, Bush hog

/ John Deere 970 Befco, Woods, Bush hog #1  

JR Ewing

Recently purchased my first tractor a John Deere 970. Would like imput on implements for the tractor. Main interests are purchasing a finishing mower and possibly a rotary cutter.

I've researched various finishing mowers: Woods, Bushhog, Frontier, Befco.

Befco dealer 2 min from my home. Woods pricey and very few dealers around here. Bushhog various dealers around.

Terrain for use: rolling pastures with some hills.

The tractor is listed as 33HP with 30 hp PTO.

I'm leaning towards a Befco because of ease of getting parts and location of dealer. I haven't read any problems with them on line. I need something that will last a long time.

Befco specs say a 30hp tractor can handle a 7ft finishing mower?
What can this tractor reasonably handle?
Is a 7 ft finishing mower too big.
Can it handle a 6ft rotary cutter by Befco.

The bushhog tech specs say it can only handle a 6ft finishing mower and a 5ft brushhog.

Any imput on the Befco Brand and any imput on what a JD 970 can handle is what I'm looking for. Thanks guys!!

/ John Deere 970 Befco, Woods, Bush hog #2  
Welcome to TBN:D

All of the brands you mentioned are well respected...I don't think you'd go wrong with any of them.

What kind of terrain are you cutting? That will also determine what size mower to get...the larger ones scalp more on hilly terrain and they weigh more also.

/ John Deere 970 Befco, Woods, Bush hog
Right now I have people cutting and bailing approx 14 acres. I maintain about 3-5 acres about like a residential backyard. Mostly flat with maybe one little berm.

Eventually I will maintain 18 acres of flat, some hills. The hills that are there can't even be bailed off. They skip about a 10 ft wide area at the crest of a few hill sides.

I will probably go with the 6ft Befco finishing mower.
Their specs say I could bump up to a 7ft mower. Trees arent a real issue as the areas with trees aren't accessible by a 6 ft mowing deck either.

How much weight, if any is taken off or on the 3-point hitch when operating a finishing mower or brushhog. I've heard bith ways on this.

On a finishing mower set the 4 caster wheels to your desired cutting height. Lower the finishing mower until they touch the ground. Some weight on the wheels some on the 3-point hitch.

Brush Hog is no weight on the mower and its supported by the 3-poit hitch.

I've heard conflicting advice!!