Light Kit Advice

/ Light Kit Advice #1  

MooreSites

Tractor
John Deere Z830A
I rarely mow into the evening, but it would be nice to add a light kit to my mower (Zero Turn) when that occasional moment arrives. Are there any kits that are preferable? If so, any tips and direction would be appreciated! Thanks!

/ Light Kit Advice #2  
Is this a real Deere ZTR, or a Home Despot Deere ZTR? I suspect there is a big difference in alternator capacity between the two.

Does Deere have a kit for your mower? If so, check to see if it uses halogen bulbs or 1156 tail light bulbs.

How many amps does your alternator put out? Two 55-watt halogen lights require 9.6-amps.

I would suggest checking Peterson and a number of other manufactures for tractor work lights. There are plenty out there. I got my Peterson's from Northern Tool. If you put two on, I suggest one trapezoid and one flood to get near and far coverage.

/ Light Kit Advice
Thanks for the advice. It's a JD 830A Z-Track. I'll dig around the manual to see, but you've offered a great place to start. Thanks!

/ Light Kit Advice #5  
It's definitely NOT a Home Despot cheapy; however with a 20-amp alternator, I suspect a lot of amps go towards the electro-magnetic clutch operation; but that's just a guess.

/ Light Kit Advice #6  
Think about LED work lights. More light output per amp but more costly than traditional filament lamps. I think JD is boxing the Peterson units.

/ Light Kit Advice #7  
I talked to my dealer about retrofitting my 3520 with the LED lamps and
was thinking about adding them to the 997.

The lights are expensive - $175 each (according to the dealer). In the scheme
of things, $350 for a set of lights is about 1% of the tractor cost - depending
upon how much the tractor cost.

I'm still debating whether or not to take the plunge.

Cheers!

LDM

/ Light Kit Advice #8  
I bought a Peterson at Northern Tools, #190961, for $20. Mounted it up inside the rollbar on my 2210 with a switch on the fender to operate it. Works great. Puts out a lot of light and seems well made. It plugs into the same outlet that I use to operate the pull-behind sprayer.