JD 790 Hood Guard

/ JD 790 Hood Guard #1  

John Weaver

Silver Member
Tractor
2000 JD 790
Talked to a JD dealer today about a FEL for my JD 790. He said I would need to also add a "hood guard" for about $45. I was just thinking would this "hood guard" (I have not seen one yet) be worth adding before buying the FEL for added protection and as a place to mount a tiltmeter? Thanks, John /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ JD 790 Hood Guard #2  
I wonder if the dealer means a hood or a radiator guard. Using a rad guard is a good idea with a loader. You can't see the front grill when you pull up close to a truck or dock to pick up or dump a load. There's a good chance of mashing, or putting something through, the rad. Rad guards are pretty good ideas when operating in heavy bush as well.

I've never seen what I'd think of as a hood guard, but that doesn't mean anything. With a loader, it's very possible for something to fall off the back of the bucket and onto the hood.

I have a rad guard for my Ford 1710, but I leave it off. The hood won't raise more than a few inches with the guard mounted. I hope I'm careful enough to keep from having to replace a radiator.

/ JD 790 Hood Guard #3  
I have a 430 loader that came with a radiator guard, no extra charge. Definitely a must have item. I would also be interested in knowing what a hood guard is. I can't quite picture how it would work, but if somethings available to protect the hood it'd be a good idea. I'll have to look into it at my dealer.

/ JD 790 Hood Guard #4  
I think the dealer just has his termalogy wrong - the parts manual for the 70 loader calls it a grille guard. Its a piece of flat stock with a few bends that mounts to the front loader frame with a bolt and removal pin on each side. The pin permits it to be moved out of the way if need. Very simular to the standard item on 4000 series loader but extends a little higher. Once you see it you will see that it can be easily made. I'm going to have my son make one in ag shop this year. Hope this helps.

/ JD 790 Hood Guard #5  
From your comment, I think I'll take another look at my guard and see if it has a quick removal pin.

I'm a little less exposed to mashed grills than many folks, because I do most material handling with 3ph pallet forks, but it would be good if I left the guard on. It's just too much of a pain not to be able to raise the hood when the guard is on. Thanks.