4200 hst tranny question

/ 4200 hst tranny question #1  

DWendt

Tractor
JD4200
My 4200 goes into neutral, but I can not roll it (move it) by hand. when in gear it appears to be using move power to move than it should. If I put if in neutral, jack it up, the right tire will spin, but the left will not. Any idea what's wrong or were to look?

thanks

Darryl

/ 4200 hst tranny question #2  
left brake must be holding up. if the right one turns it must be something in the left side brake.

/ 4200 hst tranny question
My 4200 goes into neutral, but I can not roll it (move it) by hand. when in gear it appears to be using move power to move than it should. If I put if in neutral, jack it up, the right tire will spin, but the left will not. Any idea what's wrong or were to look?

thanks

Darryl

I just came in from fixing it, guess I was having a rectal cranial inversion. I thought about the left brake while I was out working, I checked it and the rod was bent up enough to apply the brake. I had been doing some brushing and a stick must have done it.

Now I see the reply from Hanson, thank you, must have been somekind of E.S.P. going on.

Thanks Again

Darryl

/ 4200 hst tranny question #4  
Every so often my brakes(JD4300) stick on as a result of dirt/crud/corrosion where the shaft goes into the axle housing. I have to get down under and gently tap the lever in order to release, then spray the bejessus out of them with penetrating oil. Probably should use them more to keep them free....

/ 4200 hst tranny question
Good idea, I'll put some lube on it,
  • The rod was bent
  • the spring unhooked
  • the shaft stuck
Thanks again,

I had convinced myself I had a major problem and didn't look for the obvious
:eek:

/ 4200 hst tranny question #6  
Just a note, the brake return springs do have a habit of breaking on the 4x00 series machines...it pays to have a couple "in stock" for when one goes.

/ 4200 hst tranny question #7  
Every so often my brakes(JD4300) stick on as a result of dirt/crud/corrosion where the shaft goes into the axle housing. I have to get down under and gently tap the lever in order to release, then spray the bejessus out of them with penetrating oil. Probably should use them more to keep them free....

Yeah, after removing the brake shaft I see that JD uses O-rings instead of
proper conventional seals. This means that dirt and water can get in there
and cause corrosion. This is how they did the range shift shaft, too, much
to the chagrin of many owners.