Mowing JD855 mid mounted mower PTO issue

/ JD855 mid mounted mower PTO issue #1  

JD_Sheldon

Have a JD 855 with 72" mid mounted mower. The PTO is sluggish to engage and most of the time it won't engage at all. You have to ease it in. I noticed the switch under the seat is very worn and I am not sure if this has anything to do with the issue. Anyway if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Also looking for some new blades and was wondering where the best place to get them from. I am based in Brisbane Australia.

/ JD855 mid mounted mower PTO issue #2  
Had a similar issue with my 755 when I first bought it. Have you taken a close look at how the PTO lever functions yet? If you haven't take a look at it closely, it is actually two pieces coupled together by an electromagnet. When one of the safety switches ( I think there is two but I could be mistaken) trips, the magnet looses power the the half of the lever that is connected to the PTO falls back to the off position.

In my case I could sometimes ease the lever up and it would hold, but in winter on a cold day things would be too stiff to engage and it's hard to blow snow without a PTO.

I pulled the magnet out and bench tested it with a battery charger and everything was good, the terminals needed a cleaning and it's been working fine ever since.

The safety switches are known problem areas and if you suspect one of the them, pull the electrical connector off and check it with an ohm meter to ensure it's opening and closing correctly. There is also a control module that that provides a brief delay (for those times you go over a bump and the seat switch trips) but I think that part it pretty reliable.

Hopefully that gives you a couple ideas on where to start looking.

Jason

/ JD855 mid mounted mower PTO issue
Jason

Hi, thanks I will have a look on the weekend and let you know how it went. By the way is it difficult to get to the PTO lever. I imagine I would have to remove the side or top cover?

David

/ JD855 mid mounted mower PTO issue #4  
I know I had to remove a side cover to get the lever out but I don't think I removed the instrument panel.

Jason

/ JD855 mid mounted mower PTO issue
Jason

Hi, you were spot on. I finally got around to having a good look. I replaced the switch but that didn't fix it so I had took the side panel off and had a look a the PTO lever and the electromagnet had loss power. I cleaned both connections and it is working a lot better.

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

/ JD855 mid mounted mower PTO issue #6  
Mine did that too. Must be a common thing?

/ JD855 mid mounted mower PTO issue #7  
My 855 will do it occasionally too.
I have to engage the PTO slowly and it will still kick out when I'm using it.