2305 and MMM, worth it?

/ 2305 and MMM, worth it? #1  

rswoods

I have been shopping for a new tractor and think I have it narrowed down to a 2305 with 200CX FEL and 54" MMM. I was also considering a 2320 and 2520, but like the smaller size and lower stance of the 2305, since I have trees to mow around and 15-20% slopes to deal with. From what I can gather the 2305 is very common and there seem to be a lot of very satisfied owners. Primary uses will be mowing 1 1/2 ac, field mowing 2 ac, driveway maintenance with a box blade, and using the FEL to push snow when necessary (not that often here), and to move gravel, mulch, and as a powered wheelbarrow. :)

I have a couple questions about the MMM. I know that as it comes, mowing height is controlled by the rear 3pt hydraulics through a mechanical linkage. A separate cylinder and diverter valve that hooks into the FEL hydraulics is available, but it seems a significant number of folks have had issues with leakdown, and that it really doesn't lift the deck that high. According to the dealer, I can also get a kit that mechanically locks the mower up, regaining use of the 3pt hitch with the MMM still attached.

So is the extra hydraulic setup worth the cost and complexity, or would I be better off keeping it simple by getting the mechanical lockup kit? (sorry if my terminology isn't right..) So far I am leaning towards the mechanical setup.

Also, is the MMM for this tractor durable? For just a few bucks more than the cost of the MMM, I could buy another dedicated mower. For the past 10 years I have been using an LX173 with a 48" deck. The LX173 did need the transmission replaced 3 years ago. The dealer happened to have a brand new one on the shelf gathering dust, I was able to pick it up cheap pretty cheap. The 48" deck has been bulletproof, still running the original spindles, pulleys, and belt! I'm hoping the MMM for the 2305 will do as well.

Thanks for any opinions/advice.

/ 2305 and MMM, worth it? #2  
I have a 2520 with the hydraulic lift. After learning the hard way, I would not even consider the independent lift.

My tractor has the knob height adjustment, we just put it in the height the dealer set it at and we mow. My wife and I agree for our smaller yard the 2520 it too big. We wish the tractor was smaller.

Good Luck with your purchase.

/ 2305 and MMM, worth it? #3  
Go with the 60 inch mower
It will leave you less to trim with a back breaken string trimmer.
or why not just use the LX173 and forget getting a MMM for the 2305
The LX173 did need the transmission replaced 3 years ago. The dealer happened to have a brand new one on the shelf gathering dust, I was able to pick it up cheap pretty cheap. The 48" deck has been bulletproof, still running the original spindles, pulleys, and belt!

/ 2305 and MMM, worth it? #4  
I am of the opinion that mowing lawns and tractor work need to be done with separate machines. With the amount you are mowing I would either keep what you have or look to upgrading to an X500 series mower and spend half as much.

Afterwards if you still feel you need a tractor look for a good used one with a standard 3 pt hitch and about 30 to 40 hp.

Steve

/ 2305 and MMM, worth it? #5  
I have the 2305 with 62" MMM with the hydraulic lift and have had it back to the shop twice for leak down and a faulty dial knob height adjustor. It still doesn't work and will go back to the shop as soon as I can spare it. I much prefer my Kubota BX2660, but since you prefer the 2305, I have had no trouble with manuverability with the bigger deck and get a very good looking cut. The 2305 is very stable on steep inclines and has good ground clearance with the deck removed. With the hydraulic lift, the deck doesn't go up very high limiting utiity without removing it.

It is very manuverable, has good power and is versatile and with the exception of the deck has been reliable.

I have to be honest though and after using it a while, I bought a Kubota BX2660 and put the John Deere at another farm where my grandson uses it and I use the Kubota; guess that's why they make more than one kind.

/ 2305 and MMM, worth it? #6  
Sorry for the long post.
I have the 2305 and have had both lift systems for the mower deck.

Far as I know, the "height" is controlled by the knob on the foot deck near your feet. At least that is how mine works. The work of "lifting" is either done with the 3PT (mechanical lift) or extra cylinder (hyd lift).

I went cheap and got the 3PT lift to start with. It didn't play well at all with the backhoe (IMO). It got exchanged in about 48 hours for the hyd lift. Honestly after having installed it I think I would have swapped them out regardless of the backhoe. I think the mechanical lift is well, crappy... Not to mention that it REQUIRES you to have the 3PT assy on the tractor to use it. Hyd / independent lift can operate with the 3PT arms removed.

Now regarding some possible misunderstanding of "leak down".
Once the knob is set to mowing height X that is where the deck stops. It doesn't leak down past that point. Given the knob stop I have ZERO issue with leak down while mowing. The unit is not designed to use the hyd as the STOP for mowing height. Closing the drop control on the 3PT to lock it (prevent all leak down) is not advised. The manual states the tractor should not be operated with the drop control closed. So.... I say the 3PT is going to leak down at some point too. Meaning there is going to be leak down regardless of lift type. I can't get my head around the issue folks mention with leak down regarding the 2305 and hyd deck lift. It makes no sense to me...

The "issue" I have with the hyd lift is swapping the loader hoses around if I happen to have the deck and the loader on at the same time. Hyd deck lift uses a loader port. However, I can use the 3PT without any consideration for the mower deck given the hyd lift.

Like many posters I had the issues with the deck adjustment knob not working correctly. It didn't work like the 1/4 in adjustments the manual says it should have. The dealer reworked one of the parts under the tractor and now it works just like it should. The deck adjuster CAN work correctly. If someone needs pictures of what my dealer did to make it so I have no problems posting them.
My deck:
1/4 adjustments
4-1/2 transport (lock) height (this doesn't require a "KIT" by the way)
5inch (or very close) total max lift
My deck height lift (max) was the same with the mechanical lift and the hyd lift. Yes it was measured under both installs with a JD mower deck height gauge. The amount of lift has nothing to do with the type of lift as it becomes a factor of where the deck lift arms bottom out on the stops. That factor is the same regardless of hyd / 3PT lift.

My unit is 08 model and there have been no issues with the deck regarding failure. I just keep it greased and mow. Deep in the 2nd mowing season now.

I agree with those advocating the 62C deck. It does in fact trim a 3FT circle.

I do not agree (respectfully) with those advocating another "mower". That means maintaining 2 units: gas, oil, upkeep, wear, space requirements, etc. I am in the camp of get one tractor to do everything and use it.

I have seen posts of folks with the 2320 not fond of the gearing for mowing. I "wanted" the 2320, however I wouldn't have the backhoe if I had went with the bigger tractor. I have no regrets now, I would buy the same stuff again.

Best regards,
Sean

/ 2305 and MMM, worth it? #7  
1*I much prefer my Kubota BX2660, but since you prefer the 2305.
2* With the hydraulic lift, the deck doesn't go up very high limiting utiity without removing it.
3* I have to be honest though and after using it a while, I bought a Kubota BX2660 and put the John Deere at another farm where my grandson uses it and
4* I use the Kubota; guess that's why they make more than one kind.
1*I prefer my BX23 over a 2305.
2*Never had that issue with the BX23
3*
4*I would have done the same.

I am of the opinion that mowing lawns and tractor work need to be done with separate machines. With the amount you are mowing
1*I would either keep what you have or look to upgrading to an X500 series mower and spend half as much. Steve
1*An x500 is not an up grade over a 2305.
It mite be 1/2 the price but I doubt it's half the tractor.

/ 2305 and MMM, worth it? #8  
I agree with pretty much everything that Sean said about the 2305 and about one tractor with all the attachments I need. I'm just over 3 years and 450 hrs on mine and haven't had any issues at all. I have the mechanical deck lift and it's been a pain to learn how to adjust and use. Once I learned the technique of adjusting the length of the actuator arm, and locking it in, so that the deck will lift high enough so the knob goes all the way around without jamming the stops, then it works the way it should. I mow about 5 acres with over a 100 black locust, fruit, nut, and ornamental trees, and do a variet of trenching, digging, and toting with a 200cx, frontier box blade and a middle buster modified to dig a 12" deep trench about 10" wide. I look at the 2320 and 2520 specs about every 6 months, thinking, "Maybe I 'Need' a bigger tractor", but always come away realizing that the 2305 is about the perfect machine for what I do. If I could change one thing about it, it'd be to up the flow and pressure on the hydraulic pump to speed up loader work. That said, I've not had a job yet I couldn't do, just not as quick as I'd like.

The 2660BX wasn't around when I bought my 2305, so I don't have any experience with it, but the specs are almost identical, so it'd probably be worth a look. In my area, the JD dealer is head and shoulders above any Kubota dealer, so my choice would be heavily swayed toward JD. The quality of a dealer is a huge item to me in choosing a tractor.

Whatever you do, good luck and have fun.

Glen

/ 2305 and MMM, worth it? #9  
This is my fourth season with a 2305 and 62C mower deck with hydraulic lift. No problems to report and I would do it again.

I agree with everything MR_NC said.

/ 2305 and MMM, worth it? #10  
MR NC

First, my deck height adjustment knob does not work. No matter what height setting I put it on, when lowered it is stopped only by the gage wheels. Second, when I raise my deck, it "leaks" back down to the gage wheels in less than thirty seconds. The only way I can "transport" is to continually bump the "joy stick". Like I said previously, both times the repair lasted only a short time.

I am glad your 2305 works as it should, I just wish mine did. Maybe my third trip to the dealer will be the one that fixes it. Right now though I regret buying it.

Note, I am not saying the BX2660 is better, I just personally prefer it over the 2305 for the following reasons: brake location on the right, "heel and toe" HST controls, throttle location/operation, reclining/adjustable seat, deck belt thickness and easier to steer. These can be used as reasons why someone would prefer the 2305. The 2305 is our 5th JD and the 2660 our 2nd Kubota. I also own Case, Massey Ferguson and Ford.