Tractor
    Mihandra 18 hp, with front end loader (Hs1815)

Default John Deere Lx4 rotary cutter

I recently purchased a John Deere rotary cutter to fit on my 18 hp tracrtor with a three point hitch and I want to be sure that the drive shaft is not too long.

Is there a way to gauge the length before I cut the drive shaft,and do I cut the male side ?

Thanks,
    Dave M.

Tractor
    2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires

Default Re: John Deere Lx4 rotary cutter

Have you tried to hook up the mower and the pto shaft yet??

If you can get the LX4 and the pto shaft attached, and the mower will raise and lower without the shaft or mower binding, then I would leave it alone.

If you must cut the shaft, then you need to cut each section equal amounts. I would try and keep the sections as long as you can, the more overlap, the better. If there is too little overlap, they can "wobble" or cause vibration if they they get too far off of the true axis between the u-joints.
    Nothing could be finer than riding my JD790 in South Carolina!!

2001 John Deere 790 4x4 with Model 70 FEL, 5ft International World Agritech bush hog, 5ft Wallberg BB, 5ft Frontier disc harrow, 5ft King Kutter II Rototiller, 5ft Cultipacker, 5ft Sitrex finish mower, Leinbach PHD with 9" & 12" augers, Leinbach middlebuster, Leinbach #11 Field Cultivator, boom pole, custom 3pt handi-hitch, clamp on bucket forks, Pat's Easy Change.

Nothing runs like a Deere, or smells like a John....

Elite Member

Default Re: John Deere Lx4 rotary cutter

::Sent from a standard desktop keyboard::

My Photobucket