110 TLB and hammer

/ 110 TLB and hammer #1  

GreatWhitehunter

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 110 TLB
As you guys know I'm looking to get a 110 tlb in the near future. I've got a small excavating and mowing venture I'll be using for. I've also been doing concrete demo work and would like to eventually get a hammer. I know deere's site says the 110 can run a hammer but I'm wondering how the hydralics are setup for that? I know on the mini ex's there's a valve that changes the aux hydralics to continous flow but not sure on the 110. Anybody know the answer?

Matt:confused:

/ 110 TLB and hammer #2  
from what I've heard, it'd be a poor idea - those are rough on little machines. But I don't know from personal experience.

/ 110 TLB and hammer
Yes, I've heard the same,but's I've also heard that it really depends on the application. I'll also be running it on a Deere 35c mini ex. The 110 and the 35c
buckets and attachments are interchangable. I've also heard that the newer hammers have really good vibration reduction so we'll see. But back to the original question. It must be the same for the hydraulic augers.

/ 110 TLB and hammer #4  
On my 110 the boom is plumbed for the hammer and has a foot pedal operated by the left foot.

When I need concrete demolition I call in a large older backhoe with a big hammer. Would not consider using one on my newer 110. To work efficiently you need one tractor hammering and the other to muck out the spoils anyway.

Steve

/ 110 TLB and hammer
On my 110 the boom is plumbed for the hammer and has a foot pedal operated by the left foot.

When I need concrete demolition I call in a large older backhoe with a big hammer. Would not consider using one on my newer 110. To work efficiently you need one tractor hammering and the other to muck out the spoils anyway.

Steve

Is the pedel black and also operates the thumb? Does it rock left to right? I'd think a hammer of the post hole digger would need continuos flow right?

/ 110 TLB and hammer #6  
Matt,

You can use the pedal and quick couplers for all of these functions, most hammering I have done is in short spurts with repositioning of the hammer in between. You keep bringing up the continuous flow, are you referring to a detent to hold the valve open?

I will try to check this weekend whether the valve is a cylinder spool or motor spool type. The few times I have used a planetary auger I have feathered the valve carefully since I assumed it was a cylinder spool type. This was on the front loader auxillary circuit.

Steve

/ 110 TLB and hammer
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the hammers hydraulic requirements. Doesn't it need continous flow to it like a motor? I'm thinking of it like a scv, when the lever(foot pedel in this case) is pushed forward oil is sent to the attchment. Then when the lever (foot pedel) is pulled back it flows in the opposite direction right?

/ 110 TLB and hammer #8  
Your right about the foot pedal and flow direction but understand that if you hold the pedal down continuously it sends the fluid to the hammer and after passing thru the hammer it returns to the tractor sump. In the case of a hammer there is no need to use the pedal to reverse the flow, just on and off.

Steve

/ 110 TLB and hammer #9  
Matt,

You can use the pedal and quick couplers for all of these functions, most hammering I have done is in short spurts with repositioning of the hammer in between. You keep bringing up the continuous flow, are you referring to a detent to hold the valve open?

I will try to check this weekend whether the valve is a cylinder spool or motor spool type. The few times I have used a planetary auger I have feathered the valve carefully since I assumed it was a cylinder spool type. This was on the front loader auxillary circuit.

Steve

I have a feeling there is something I don't know in there that I should. What are the practical implications of using an auger on a cylinder spool valve? I have a feeling I'm doing just that.

/ 110 TLB and hammer #10  
Charles,
When a cylinder spool is returned to the middle position the outlet ports are closed off which keeps the cylinder fixed in place. when a motor spool is returned to the middle position the outlet ports are open to each other. The idea being that this allows the motor which may be turning fast to slow gradually. When you run a motor on a cylinder spool valve and return to the middle quickly it tries to stop the motor instantly causing undue stress on everything.

Steve