300CX broken hydraulic fitting

/ 300CX broken hydraulic fitting #1  

jeffster

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3520 w/ 300CX
Ok, so being the kindly neighbor I am, I was loading some fill dirt/clay for my neighbor when a random rock happened to be in the pile and rolled back right as I was curling the bucket. It bent the front fitting on the right forward cylinder. It did not damage the line so I was able to screw it off just fine and inspect it. It looks like the fitting that is welded (I am assuming) to the cylinder was bent just a bit so that it separated from the cylinder housing. Can I just weld this and call it good or am I going to have to take the whole thing in for repair?

Thanks!
-Jeff

/ 300CX broken hydraulic fitting #2  
I picture will get you better responses, but it sounds like there is no reason it can't be welded.

/ 300CX broken hydraulic fitting
Well, I just called and talked to my Deere dealer who said that it is listed as non-repairable by Deere and that it says I need to order a new cylinder for $505. That is insane. Am calling a couple of hydraulic places right now to see if they can repair it. Even my dealer suggested I try to take it someplace first to see if it can be repaired. I can't believe it isn't a threaded-in fitting though. Hopefully someone will have some good news as I really don't want to spend $500 right now. :(

Pics attached:

P8280075.jpg

P8280080.jpg

As you can see, the fitting is completely off now. It was barely hanging on...

/ 300CX broken hydraulic fitting #6  
That can be TIG welded by any competent welder...also be sure to install a new o-ring.

/ 300CX broken hydraulic fitting #7  
I'd take a dremel tool and grind the weld off around the fitting. Then take it to a competant welder as Kennyd said. Keep in mind there's a hole lot of pressure the so the repairs got to be really good.

Matt

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice. I just went down to the welding shop that my dad's cousin used to own and they said there wasn't enough room on the fitting to weld it and still have enough thread for the hose. So, fortunately NAPA had a union fitting of the same style, so they are going to modify that and weld it on. I pick it up at noon tomorrow so we'll see how it goes. Gonna have to stop by Deere though and get more hydraulic fluid in the morning. Figures, it will probably be the most expensive part of this whole fiasco. :p

Thanks again,
-Jeff

/ 300CX broken hydraulic fitting #9  
Yes, I would just have it welded. That is how it was in the first place. My JD dealer would have just welded on a new one. Kind of surprise they said buy an entire new cylinder. Cylinder repairs shops weld on new ports for me when I need them.

/ 300CX broken hydraulic fitting #10  
I think your dealer wanted to sell a $500 cylinder instead of a $50 weld repair. :mad: