Cab Air Filters - Clean vs. Replace

/ Cab Air Filters - Clean vs. Replace #1  

Spudland_Dave

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 3520 Cab, Deere F935
The thread not too long ago about checking your cab air filters got me to checking it for the first time....A/C Was blowing cold so I was just checking it for grins more then anything....filter seems dirty a bit, and even after cleaning it with compressed air it still "Looked" dirty...The filter element looks no different then any other air filter (didnt pay attention to if it was paper or cloth)...

Service Miscellaneous

Question is why does Deere reccomend cleaning rather then just replacing it? Its not "cost prohibitive" to replace the filter and Deere makes no mention of actually washing the filter with soap & water like a "True" Reusable type element...

I know on my truck I just swap out the cabin air filters....seems like the Automotive guys swap out filters and us tractor guys are percieved to be too cheap to swap em out?

/ Cab Air Filters - Clean vs. Replace #2  
I clean mine almost every time I use the tractor and mine is ussually filth. I think Deere has you clean it rather than replace because of the frequency that it needs to be cleaned (if you operate in a dirty enviroment). It would be hard for them to recomend replacing the element when its dirty, that would be costly!

I plan to replace mine before too long incase it gets a small hole. I do not want to contaminate the ducts with a ton of dust. Mine gets cleaning with a leaf blower or air compressor depending if I remember to pull it out when I blow off the tractor or remember before I go out in the field.

/ Cab Air Filters - Clean vs. Replace #3  
The thread not too long ago about checking your cab air filters got me to checking it for the first time....A/C Was blowing cold so I was just checking it for grins more then anything....filter seems dirty a bit, and even after cleaning it with compressed air it still "Looked" dirty...The filter element looks no different then any other air filter (didnt pay attention to if it was paper or cloth)...

Service Miscellaneous

Question is why does Deere reccomend cleaning rather then just replacing it? Its not "cost prohibitive" to replace the filter and Deere makes no mention of actually washing the filter with soap & water like a "True" Reusable type element...

I know on my truck I just swap out the cabin air filters....seems like the Automotive guys swap out filters and us tractor guys are percieved to be too cheap to swap em out?

Just a couple hours of raking hay with our 4520 cab will really make that single filter in the back dirty. It needs cleaning when you shut the door and dirt blows out the filter.

D.

/ Cab Air Filters - Clean vs. Replace #4  
Maybe yours was not too dirty when you checked it. Thats a good thing. I blow mine out until it seems that it just doesn't look good after cleaning. I don't remember how much it cost the last time I bought one because I purchased several items at the same time but I think it was about $30.00. They can get extremely dirty fast depending on what you're doing. I.E. discing vs. mowing.

/ Cab Air Filters - Clean vs. Replace #5  
Maybe yours was not too dirty when you checked it. Thats a good thing. I blow mine out until it seems that it just doesn't look good after cleaning. I don't remember how much it cost the last time I bought one because I purchased several items at the same time but I think it was about $30.00. They can get extremely dirty fast depending on what you're doing. I.E. discing vs. mowing.

4-6 hours of raking hay and it is really dirty. I think we can all agree it is dirty when you shut the door and dirt blows out of the filter. Compressed air cleans them up pretty well.

D.

/ Cab Air Filters - Clean vs. Replace
To me it looked like a "normal" flat pleated air filter like whats found on most cars & trucks...I was thinking of possibly taking it to NAPA or such to see if I could find a generic "automotive" filter...then if we can cross reference that to a Fram or other "cheapie" filter....
I use nothing but OEM filters on engines, etc.... but on something like this, I'm thinking the filtration of a cheapie filter would still be more then adequate...

Heck something like a Genuinely resuable filter like a K&N could probably do the trick...

Your thoughts?

/ Cab Air Filters - Clean vs. Replace #7  
To me it looked like a "normal" flat pleated air filter like whats found on most cars & trucks...I was thinking of possibly taking it to NAPA or such to see if I could find a generic "automotive" filter...then if we can cross reference that to a Fram or other "cheapie" filter....
I use nothing but OEM filters on engines, etc.... but on something like this, I'm thinking the filtration of a cheapie filter would still be more then adequate...

Heck something like a Genuinely resuable filter like a K&N could probably do the trick...

Your thoughts?

I like that idea a bunch.

D.

/ Cab Air Filters - Clean vs. Replace #8  
i doubt k&n making a filter like that & if they did you could buy a lot of oem filters for what it would cost.it is still going to look dirty after you blow it out because it is made of paper.clean as needed & replace in the spring. we have 3 cab tractors used in hay from the middle of may to the first of october & this seems to work for us.

/ Cab Air Filters - Clean vs. Replace #9  
Don't think you want to use a K&N filter as their specialty is increased airflow vs increased filtration for engines. Plus they will probably be more expensive than the Deere filter if they are about $30. Now if they made one especially for our Cab filters, then i guess i might consider it, but they use'em on these:rolleyes::

Pro Pulling League Competitors use K&N Filters

and they actually make the ones for my 3520 though!

K&N Products by Vehicle Search - Year, Make, Model, Engine Search

K&N Products by Vehicle Search - Year, Make, Model, Engine Search

JOHN DEERE - OEM AM30800 Small Engine/Light Industrial Air Filter E-4400 $29.99

JOHN DEERE - OEM PT9334 Small Engine/Light Industrial Air Filter E-4517 $30.99

JOHN DEERE - OEM M47494 Small Engine/Light Industrial Air Filter E-4521$30.99

JOHN DEERE - All Small Engine/Light Industrial Drycharger E-4521DK $11.99

1 Replacement Industrial Air Filter E-4400 In stock$29.99
1 Replacement Industrial Air Filter E-4517 In stock$30.99
1 Replacement Industrial Air Filter E-4521 In stock$30.99
1 Air Filter Wrap E-4521DK In stock$11.99

I wonder what Deere says about them?

It would be good to see if someone has any experience with them on a tractor?

Last edited:
   / Cab Air Filters - Clean vs. Replace
Don't think you want to use a K&N filter as their specialty is increased airflow vs increased filtration for engines. Plus they will probably be more expensive than the Deere filter if they are about $30. Now if they made one especially for our Cab filters, then i guess i might consider it, but they use'em on these:rolleyes::

I wonder what Deere says about them?

It would be good to see if someone has any experience with them on a tractor?

Umm...I'm not following you Nuru...are you For or against K&N's?

What I'd WANT to do is use a K&N on the Cab...not the engine. I have no intentions of using a K&N on my tractor engine...
My experience with K&N's is a great one..got one on all the street vehicles we own. BUT...in dirt applications, I think we're best off with a quality replaceable paper element...
As for cost...most K&N's are in the $30-$35 range, sometimes more... Deere wants $25 for their cab filter...K&N's are good for 10+ Years...

As a side note....my Cab air filter was 5x more dirty then my engine air filter...which I thought was interesting...