JD4100 3PH Tilt Adjustment

/ JD4100 3PH Tilt Adjustment #1  

GaryM

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD4100 Hydro
I have a 2001 JD4100 and am having trouble keeping the tilt adjustment tight on the 3PH. It has the turnbuckle barrel and at the bottom there's nut with a piece of rod welded across one of the flats.

I adjust the tilt so the 413 cutter is level from side to side. then tighten the nut against the botton of the turnbuckle. I then rap the rod with a hammer to be sure the nut is tight.

After mowing for about 15 minutes, the turnbuckle backs off allowing the right side of the cutter to be lower than the left.

Any good ideas about keeping this adjustment tight?

/ JD4100 3PH Tilt Adjustment #2  
How about a nut on either side of the turnbuckle? You could even add lockwashers on either side with the nuts. That certainly ought to do it.

If it still works loose, weld the damned thing, keep it with your mower and buy another one for your other implements. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ JD4100 3PH Tilt Adjustment #3  
I suppose the vibration of the mower is causing it to loosen quickly. I have the same tractor and when using a box blade it also loosens up, although it takes half an hour. I have taken to tightening it with a rap from a pc of 2x4. Could it be that there is more vibration than normal on your mower (like one damaged blade, bent shaft, bad u-joint, etc) causing the problem? Just a thought.
I wish we had the arm adjuster like you see on some small older Fords and the IHs, with a handle crank instead of the turnbuckle deal. They are faster and automatically lock position as you let go of them and they drop down vertical.
If mine gets any worse I will have to give this more thought, and will post a solution if I find one. One thing I may try is to make a new locknut from a Nylock, with the small bar welded on (maybe the bar will be a bit longer).
Another thought just occured to me. Could it be that we are tightening the locknut when the implement is raised (that I know I do), which has the main adjustment threads extended one direction, and really we should tighten the locknut with the main adjustment threads compressed the other way (like with the implement on the ground maybe)??? Think about it, try it, let us know.

/ JD4100 3PH Tilt Adjustment #4  
" adjust the tilt so the 413 cutter is level from side to side. then tighten the nut against the botton of the turnbuckle. I then rap the rod with a hammer to be sure the nut is tight."

Try two wrenches (use 12" adjustables if you don't have the correct size) and snug the nut against the turn buckle barrel. That should do it.

You could also get a lockwasher from your local hardware store.