Rear Break Problem

/ Rear Break Problem #1  

TxBillyed

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere-4100
JD 4100- My rear brakes grind like heck when I try and stop. I can not find where brake fluid can be checked. /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif =
Any help. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif =

Bill

/ Rear Break Problem #2  
I'm not familiar with the 4100,but i doubt if there is brake fluid.
Should be manual linkage directly to the brake assembly..

/ Rear Break Problem #3  
sounds like your brakes are gone. Down to metal. doesnt sound like adjusting them will help. Just my .02

/ Rear Break Problem #4  
Bill,
How many hours do you have on your tractor? If it's been doing this all along, and we're talking about the same noise, I'm pretty sure it's a normal sound. Your 4100 and my 4400 both have the wet disk brakes. When I first got mine, I took it back out to the dealer because of the noise the brakes made. Kind of a growling, groaning sound. He said it was normal and fired up a couple of other new 4000 series units to show me that they were the same. If your unit is a hydro, like mine, it will take some time before the brakes wear down a little and "smooth" out as you're not using them much with a hydro. If your unit isn't a hst and it still worries you, I'd arrange to have the dealer look at it and address your concerns.

Hoss

/ Rear Break Problem #5  
Bill, yep the 4100 has mechanical wet disc brakes. 2 friction discs and 2 steel plates, along with a ball ramp actuator for each side. The only outside adjustment you can make is with the threaded brake rods.

Last year the brakes on my 4100 began making noise too. First tried a fluid modifer (PEMO) to control the noise but eventually I had some of the internal brake components replaced by the selling dealership under warranty.

You can use this <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=jdown&Number=120400&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1#Post120400>link</A> to locate some prior posts I made concerning the brakes on my tractor.

DFB