jd 3020 won't start all of a sudden

/ jd 3020 won't start all of a sudden #1  

deboer

My gas JD 3020 was running good, but yesterday when I turned the starter on it made a fairly loud thud sound, then just clicking of the solenoid. It has a front loader so access to the starter is tough. First question is: how many bolts hold the starter on, 3 or 4? I can see two ok. Could it be a sticking starter? How can I check without taking the starter off? Where to start. ken

/ jd 3020 won't start all of a sudden #2  
Start with the simple stuff first. Eliminate loose or corroded electrical connections, then the battery. I never trust boost or even charges, take the battery all the way out and put in a known good unit.

Hope this helps.

/ jd 3020 won't start all of a sudden #3  
When you attempt to start are you getting multiple clicks or just one? If multiple clicks, then you probably have a bad battery or bad connection. If only one click, then you might have a starter problem. There are three bolts holding the starter on. Deere makes a special wrench to access the one that is not visible.

/ jd 3020 won't start all of a sudden
Thanks guys. Your advice on all counts was super and I got it going again. The battery, which was good, suddenly went completerly haywire and wouldnt recharge. Thank you again.