Default jd 3020 won't start all of a sudden

My gas JD 3020 was running good, but yesterday when I turned the starter on it made a fairly loud thud sound, then just clicking of the solenoid. It has a front loader so access to the starter is tough. First question is: how many bolts hold the starter on, 3 or 4? I can see two ok. Could it be a sticking starter? How can I check without taking the starter off? Where to start. ken

Tractor
    '06 John Deere 3320

Default Re: jd 3020 won't start all of a sudden

Start with the simple stuff first. Eliminate loose or corroded electrical connections, then the battery. I never trust boost or even charges, take the battery all the way out and put in a known good unit.

Hope this helps.
    '06 John Deere 3320

Platinum Member

When you attempt to start are you getting multiple clicks or just one? If multiple clicks, then you probably have a bad battery or bad connection. If only one click, then you might have a starter problem. There are three bolts holding the starter on. Deere makes a special wrench to access the one that is not visible.

Thanks guys. Your advice on all counts was super and I got it going again. The battery, which was good, suddenly went completerly haywire and wouldnt recharge. Thank you again.