Oil & Fuel fuel gauge jumpy on 855. Normal?

/ fuel gauge jumpy on 855. Normal? #1  

dsmau

Silver Member
Tractor
Deere 855
My fuel gauge needle is moving from left to right very fast when the tractor moves and appears to be working normally when tractor is stopped. Is this normal? I just got my 855 so I do not know if it has always been like this or not.

/ fuel gauge jumpy on 855. Normal? #2  
The gauge on my 755 is pretty stable with only minor expected movement from tractor motion. Is it swinging from stop to stop? Could be a simple loose wire connection.

/ fuel gauge jumpy on 855. Normal? #3  
My gauge works sometimes and other times it doesn't?

I've quit looking at it. I know if I need fuel...

...and I'm always surprised when I actually do?

/ fuel gauge jumpy on 855. Normal? #4  
The gauge on my 755 started swinging wildly at about 900 hours and 16 years old. The swinging seems to occur when the tank is full or close to full. It also will run out of fuel at about 1/2 full on the gauge. I haven't spent any time troubleshooting it. I just refuel when it gets down to about 1/2 tank and ignore the swinging.

/ fuel gauge jumpy on 855. Normal?
The gauge on my 755 started swinging wildly at about 900 hours and 16 years old. The swinging seems to occur when the tank is full or close to full. It also will run out of fuel at about 1/2 full on the gauge. I haven't spent any time troubleshooting it. I just refuel when it gets down to about 1/2 tank and ignore the swinging.

Mine was running out of fuel around 1/3-1/2 also. Recently I took all sheet metal apart to get it repainted and while I was at it, I looked in the tank with a flash light and found that the rubber hose that is supposed to be attached to the fuel line was laying flat at the bottom of the tank!
MP9867_________UN01JAN94.gif

In this picture, part 13 was disconnected from 14.
This also means that fuel was not filtered as it was supposed because there is a screen at the end of the rubber hose. I got some 1/4 inch gas hose and replaced it and voila! Now I can go through the entire tank. The old hose was so dry that I could rip it with my fingers so I think all models with this kind of setup will have this problem sooner or later. Mine is a 1990 model.

My gauge still travels too fast when the tractor is moving but it is accurate when I stop. I will look into this minor problem at some other time...
I though I would pass the good news on this easy fix.

/ fuel gauge jumpy on 855. Normal? #6  
I have not had problems with my fuel gauge, but should probably check on this. That hose in the fuel tank is the same part number hose material as my fuel splash drain hose. The drain hose did get brittle and crumble apart a few years ago.

/ fuel gauge jumpy on 855. Normal? #7  
Thanks for the report. On the 755, you cannot see into the tank because of its shape. I have avoided tearing into it partly because of uncertainty whether I'd need to replace the gasket, and partly because I've got so many other time consumers.

Thanks for the report. On the 755, you cannot see into the tank because of its shape. I have avoided tearing into it partly because of uncertainty whether I'd need to replace the gasket, and partly because I've got so many other time consumers.

I hear you about time consumers! I did it simply because everything was apart and easy to access.
BTW, I did not change the gasket and it is not leaking. It is a rubber gasket so I just tighten the screws back.

/ fuel gauge jumpy on 855. Normal? #9  
I have had this issue with my 755 the vibrations from the motor , age , and corrosion causes a loose connection on the back of the Gauge . I cleaned and re installed the plug seems fine now.

I have had this issue with my 755 the vibrations from the motor , age , and corrosion causes a loose connection on the back of the Gauge . I cleaned and re installed the plug seems fine now.

Mine had the same problem. While I was putting the cluster back together after the paint job, I made sure to clean the connectors and put some conductive grease in there and now it works like a new one. So now all my issues with the gauge and tank are resolved for almost 0 dollars. I like that...