Ballast 3720 wheel weights

/ 3720 wheel weights #1  

xkbal

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 3720
Hi,
I'm looking to add wheel weights to my 3720. Checked with the dealer I bought the tractor at and am looking in the $1200 ballpark to add three 55 pound weights/side. This is a pretty pricy ballpark. Is that the going rate for these?

I could buy 2" sheet, waterjet/plasma, use the leftover circles for weight for my rear blade and have leftover for projects and still be cheaper than the Deere cast iron weights.

/ 3720 wheel weights #2  
WAYYYY Bleepin high...
General rule of thumb on JD weights is about $1.00 per LB.

I had my tractor delivered with 2 weights each side, but If I were shopping, I'd say TOTAL Cost for everything should be right around $350.00 for everything. Keep in mind, this is a wholegood...its no different then buying your tractor, so you can dicker with them a bit....

What wheels you got, if you got r4's the following is what you need:

The wholegoods PN for the Weight on R4 Rims is:
BM17968 - 23.6KG (52 LB) (STARTER/ADDITIONAL WEIGHT) (USE WITH 15 - 19.5 OR 43 X 16 - 20 R4 TIRES)

To add 3 weights per wheel you'll also need (for each side):
LVB25004 - STARTER WEIGHT HARDWARE (INCLUDES PARTS MARKED (A)) (USE WITH BM17968)

and QTY 2
BM19337 - ADDITIONAL WEIGHT HARDWARE (INCLUDES PARTS MARKED (B)) (USE WITH BM17968)

MP34119________UN05MAY04.gif

/ 3720 wheel weights
Thanks for the info. He did say that I could get suitcase weights for about a $1/pound but I'll have to see what he can do on the price for the wheel weights. Maybe try a different dealer.

/ 3720 wheel weights #4  
I bit on the dealer-supplied JD wheel weights when I bought my 3720. Big dissapointment. I could not access the wheel studs because the socket interfered with the inner diameter of the wheel weight. I removed them, replaced the mounting kit (80 dollar bag of bolts and spacers), with my own hardware, and machined the ID of the inner weight to allow access to the wheel studs. Good thing I did so, 'cause a couple weeks later I broke off the inflater stem and had to have on-farm service out in the woods. Not having to handle the weights saved a lot of hassle. It is possible my dealer's service dept assembed it all wrong, but in any case, I paid way too much for that bag of bolts. I have 110 lbs per wheel on there now and plan to add another 150 per wheel when I can get the machining done to these two old red weights I have laying around. I also would like to have two inch wheel spacers, but will have to turn them myself as I am too cheap to pay the price of purchased ones.

I like your idea of waterjetting out what you want. I looked up the weights and found to my surprise that cast and sheet steel weigh about the same.

/ 3720 wheel weights #5  
I could not access the wheel studs because the socket interfered with the inner diameter of the wheel weight.

Yeah that is the case....BUT to Deere's "defense"...and from my own point of view...
I would'nt want to remove & work on the wheel with the weights on it...I'm apparently not a strong as you :D because when I needed to remove my wheel, I removed the weights first...no need to fight with an additional 110 lbs for nothing...

What I'd really like to know is why we cant use the 110 lb weights on the R4's (#8 in the pic)
I'm pretty sure the OD is the same....

/ 3720 wheel weights #6  
Well I am not saying it is easy to lift the wheel with the weights on it, BUT:
1. If you can leave them on there in case you have to pull the wheel it saves time. Two guys can easily stand up the wheel with weights on it. And if you can leave it standing and roll it out of the way for service, etc, then it is a one-person job.
2. Handling the weights and getting them aligned to put in the bolts is hard, and is MUCH easier with the rim laying on the floor flat. Then of course you must stand the wheel and be able to install and tighten the wheel studs afterwards.
3. You must check your wheel stud torque periodically. Its an easy task if you can reach the wheel studs. It totally sucks if you must handle the weights off there to do it and then back on afterwards.

/ 3720 wheel weights #7  
Did you consider loading the rear tires with Rimguard? Depending on what size tires you have you can add approx 300+ lbs per tire and it is far less expensive than wheel weights. Some people use RV antifreeze. You can get away with using water if you live far enough south.

/ 3720 wheel weights
Did you consider loading the rear tires with Rimguard? Depending on what size tires you have you can add approx 300+ lbs per tire and it is far less expensive than wheel weights. Some people use RV antifreeze. You can get away with using water if you live far enough south.

I looked into rimguard and it doesn't seem to be available in my area, it's possible it may not be able to handle the cold as it is possible to get to -40C here and not unusual for -30C. Had also considered ww fluid but would prefer wheel weights if possible. Unless I can find a better price I'll probably end up going with fluid of some sort.

Haven't had a chance to check back with my dealer yet as I work out of town and won't be back till next week.

/ 3720 wheel weights #9  
XKbal : WELCOME ABOARD! The Canadian version of RimGaurd, (different company) called Eco Solutions in Milton Ontario. This is basically the same "beet-juice" that Rim Gaurd uses and in Canada its called "FUSION" and does NOT freeze till it gets down below -55c, then I believe it begins to slush up a bit. NO salt!

Anyway thats what I use in my tires, its heavier than water and if you have a leek it is enviro-friendly. I know they ship it all across Canada for use on highways in place of salt, and spray it on granulated open carloads being shipped from BC through the mountains by train to keep it from freezing.

Their website is : www.eco-solution.net This company does NOT specialize in filling tires, so If any of you are interested, I can give you a contact person and phone number. At least this gal will understand your needs and gladly answer your questions. You'll have to check it out, I have no idea if they'll ship it to you out there or if they have a dealer in your area?

Just a suggestion which I hope will be helpful.
. . tug

PS: IF you tried clicking on that website and didn't get it,.....try just typing in www.eco-solution.net That seems to bring it up no problem, sorry bout that.

Last edited:
   / 3720 wheel weights #10  
I was quoted $128.00 per 60lb weightthisweekendformy 3032e. I can use & need 3 per side,so $768.00 + tax fromlocal jd dealer. A little over 2.00 a pound. .
Joe