Is there yet a 2-piece driveshaft for 2210?

/ Is there yet a 2-piece driveshaft for 2210? #1  

JDLou

Tractor
Deere 2210
This post refers to the driveshaft the runs between the engine and the transmission on the 2210 and. presumably, numerous other models.

Some of you may recall my post (April 2008) about a broken transmission fan on my 2210. I was not the only one who had encounter the issue and it was pretty expensive to have fixed because the transmission had to be moved rearward to get the driveshaft off.

Well, now I have a new headache because of Deere's single-piece driveshafts. About 1-2 running hours ago, I noticed a rubbing noise at about 2300 rpm and higher. Had a mechanic out from the local JD dealer (only 3 miles) and the thinking is I've got a worn or seized driveshaft U-Joint. I'm told that in order to replace the U-Joint and/or driveshaft, the transmission must once again be moved rearwardly.

This seems like an an insane design to me, especially since I've now been victimized 2x by it. Does anyone know whether Deere, or any after-market manafacturer makes a 2-piece and/or telescoping driveshaft? Is there a good engineering reason why a two-piece/telescoping driveshaft would be unwise/poor design? It seems to me it would make repairs like the ones described above easier = cheaper.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and best,

JDLou

/ Is there yet a 2-piece driveshaft for 2210? #2  
I have never heard of a 2-piece drive shaft (for the 2210/2305) tractors...

/ Is there yet a 2-piece driveshaft for 2210? #3  
I'm not familiar with the 2210,but I had to remove the driveshaft on my 2320 to change the front spider around it was put in backwards and there was no way to grease it.It was a warranty job but they did it in my shop so I was there and helped.The tech had never removed a drive shaft on a 2320 before and was kind of stumped.He thought after removing the damper between the flywheel and the driveshaft it would slide forward enough to come off the transmission input shaft,but it didn't.I was looking at it and said why don't we just press the rear spider out.There was room enough to get a socket on each side of the yoke and press the caps out with a c clamp.Maybe it will work 2210?Also does your 2210 have grease fittings on the driveshaft?You might want to check.

/ Is there yet a 2-piece driveshaft for 2210?
Hi T man:

Thanks for your insights/experience on this. The driveshaft/u-joint are "non-serviceable" so, no, it does not have grease fittings. To clarify, are you saying that you took the caps/pin(s) out of the U-joint to disassemble the shaft? If so, I was wondering myself if that was possible, but what of getting the new one in without compromising its stuctural integrity?

kennyd:

I specifically noted that you stated you had not heard of a 2-piece driveshaft for the 2210/2305, does this imply they exist for other models? Just curious.

Best,

JDLou

/ Is there yet a 2-piece driveshaft for 2210? #5  
That's the exact same driveline in my F935 mower. All you need to do is remove the 3 bolts from the isolator and that end of the driveshaft drops out in your face. It swivels downward about the opposite ended u-joint. A 2 piece driveline from an engine would never last because the torque pulses from the engine would soon wear out the splines/coupler whatever system is used. Its just not worth the extra cost, either. The isolator in your machine is intended to reduce the torque variation but is itself a limited life device. Parts on eBay...

/ Is there yet a 2-piece driveshaft for 2210? #6  
Hi T man:

Thanks for your insights/experience on this. The driveshaft/u-joint are "non-serviceable" so, no, it does not have grease fittings. To clarify, are you saying that you took the caps/pin(s) out of the U-joint to disassemble the shaft? If so, I was wondering myself if that was possible, but what of getting the new one in without compromising its stuctural integrity?

Yes I was able to press out all 4 caps,remove the spider,then separate the yokes and remove the driveshaft.Installing would be a reversal.If you have a bad u joint all you will be replacing is the spider anyway,and if it is the rear one you may be able to replace it without removing the driveshaft,using that method.The first thing you will have to do is gain access to the rear u joint.Then see if you are able to put a socket that is larger than the bearing cap on one side of the yoke and one that is smaller on the other side.Then see if you will be able to get a c clamp in there and press the caps out.If you are familiar with changing u joints then you will know what I am talking about.If you don't have enough room to use sockets I have in the past cut short sections of pipe and used them to press out spiders.Hope this helps.Tim

/ Is there yet a 2-piece driveshaft for 2210? #7  
kennyd:

I specifically noted that you stated you had not heard of a 2-piece driveshaft for the 2210/2305, does this imply they exist for other models? Just curious.

Best,

JDLou

I have no idea...I was just using past thread history and the picture on JDParts to respond.