Oil & Fuel Fuel Problem 850

/ Fuel Problem 850 #1  

Brokentip

Tractor
JD 850
I started using my 850 recently after about 3 years of very little use. I had a problem with fuel--bled the system and changed the fuel filter but it still frequently dies out under a load (rotary cutter). Once whatever the problem is passes it is fine until the next episode. Should I drain out all the fuel and start over? The tank was 3/4 full and I topped it off with new. Or is my problem due to the low sulpher fuel? Thanks.

/ Fuel Problem 850 #2  
Welcome to TBN:D

Your problem could be as simple as a bad fuel cap. They are vented and sometimes the vents get clogged up so the fuel can't flow out of the tank.

Here are some things to check:
-When it dies, is the fuel bowl empty?
-When it sputters-try loosening the fuel cap quickly.
-When was the fuel filter last changed?

I seriously doubt it has to do anything with ULSD.

/ Fuel Problem 850 #3  
I know you said you changed the filter but after running for a few hours how clean is the fuel bowl? This would indicate whether you are picking up crud from the tank, if it is clean then I would look elsewheres, if it is dirty then clean it and change the filter again.

As others have said if the fuel bowl is not always full then the venting on the cap may be the culprit and is a common problem.

Steve

/ Fuel Problem 850
Looks like both of you were right. The fuel appears clean and I just changed the filter, however when I checked it again this morning the bowl was not commpletely full. I opened the bleeding screw nearest to the supply line and the bowl filled immediately. (When I bled the system before I did not open this one for some reason). The engine started with no problems and performance was just as it used to be. :D I mowed for about four hours today. Thanks for the tips guys!