Snow 5083E vs 4720 with snow blade? Need help

/ 5083E vs 4720 with snow blade? Need help #1  

mike123

Bronze Member
Tractor
Toolcat B 2004
I have been on the fence for 4 months and winter is coming soon.

I have a toolcat now (56 hp) 5500 lbs with ballast and blade) which I do allot of condo drives with. I have too much work for it now so I have been considering stepping up to something bigger.
I haven't pulled the trigger on a 5000 series tractor because I am sure it will scare my customers since it is so big and no one uses tractors around here.
So now I have been considering the 4000 series again. At first glance I thought they looked like a small toy but after looking at the specs they are not that bad. 66 HP and 5000 lbs.
I just don't know if I will get much more out of a 4720 compared to my toolcat?
I want to know how much weight can I add to a 4720 so I can get some pushing power? And how much weight is too much for the HP of the tractor, (will I run out of HP since it痴 a hydrostatic)?
The blade I want to order is a horst welding 3000 series snowwing. It is 1400lbs not including the carrier I will be ordering with it. It is a 7 foot blade that expands to 12 feet. Do you think the 4720 can push this blade full of snow if I can get the weight up?

I have zero experience with tractors.
Thanks so much guys.
Mike

/ 5083E vs 4720 with snow blade? Need help #2  
Have a 4720, and looking for a blade. How was your success.

/ 5083E vs 4720 with snow blade? Need help #3  
Similar to a lot of cases here you need to be sure what size tractor you need for the job. Since the blade is a minimum of 7 ft wide and you need a lot of traction and ballast weight to work faster why not go with the larger machine? While I have a 4520 and like it, I don't think it is big enough physically to make enough difference. Depending on how well this pays and how much of a change in productivity you need maybe a 6000 series is the correct size. This would be larger tires both front and rear with ballast for better steering and a heavy rear ballast box to balance out the weight.

The idea that the larger tractor would scare customers is of no consequence, most people that would hire you are only interested in results. The people that it would interest at all would have their own equipment or were considering it. About the only thing I can see would be vertical clearance, you would need to see how much height difference there is and if it matters.

Steve

/ 5083E vs 4720 with snow blade? Need help #4  
Here is my 2 cents. I have a TC 5610, just bought a JD cabbed 4520 and just sold a JD cabbed 3720. I used the TC and 3720 with homemade, FEL mounted meyer, 84" plow. Have not used the 4520 in snow. The TC did much better with the snow blade than the 3720. The 3720 is Ok pushing straight but heavy snow with blade angled will push the front end to the side. The 4520 has a little more front end weight, but the weight in the front is not significantly greater. Also the snowblade on a tractor hangs much further out front relative to the front wheels on a tractor compared to the TC. Thus easier to push the front end over. Also the weight in the front of the TC has to be more than the tractor. With the tractor, I would try to keep most of the snow blade weight off the skids and on the front end to help keep the front end straight. Visibility with tractor is worse because of the hood and the blade is more difficult to control because it hangs out far in front.

I previously had a JD 5300, which is near the smaller end of the older 5000 series. If I had my choice to push significant snow, I would take the 5000 series over the much smaller front end, 4000 series. Your front snowblade will weigh 1400 lbs, and my homemade meyer blade probably weighs 400-500 lbs. Up to 12" wide blade with snow and the 4000 series will be way overmatched.

/ 5083E vs 4720 with snow blade? Need help #5  
I don't know much about the 4000 series but if you want more information on the 5083, do a search for 5101. You should come up with my review thread on my 5101. It is identical to the 5083 in all things but horsepower. If you have any specific questions on the model I'd be glad to answer them.

/ 5083E vs 4720 with snow blade? Need help
Here is my 2 cents. I have a TC 5610, just bought a JD cabbed 4520 and just sold a JD cabbed 3720. I used the TC and 3720 with homemade, FEL mounted meyer, 84" plow. Have not used the 4520 in snow. The TC did much better with the snow blade than the 3720. The 3720 is Ok pushing straight but heavy snow with blade angled will push the front end to the side. The 4520 has a little more front end weight, but the weight in the front is not significantly greater. Also the snowblade on a tractor hangs much further out front relative to the front wheels on a tractor compared to the TC. Thus easier to push the front end over. Also the weight in the front of the TC has to be more than the tractor. With the tractor, I would try to keep most of the snow blade weight off the skids and on the front end to help keep the front end straight. Visibility with tractor is worse because of the hood and the blade is more difficult to control because it hangs out far in front.

I previously had a JD 5300, which is near the smaller end of the older 5000 series. If I had my choice to push significant snow, I would take the 5000 series over the much smaller front end, 4000 series. Your front snowblade will weigh 1400 lbs, and my homemade meyer blade probably weighs 400-500 lbs. Up to 12" wide blade with snow and the 4000 series will be way overmatched.

Radman we do not get allot of snow here to often. Most snow falls are an inch, but I have allot of clients and I want to get more efficent then my current setup.
I just think with a 5000 series tractor I can get the condos done allot quicker. I think the tractor will be slower back blading the drives but will really excel cleaning up the streets.I love the toolcat but it seems like every storm I am wondering if it will make it through and I wish it was a little bigger weight and HP wise.
My dealer does not rent toolcats so when I go down for days and weeks I am left hanging and it seemed to be down allot last year.

You have experience with both the 5000 series and toolcat, what do you think?
Thanks Mike

/ 5083E vs 4720 with snow blade? Need help #7  
I love the toolcat but it seems like every storm I am wondering if it will make it through and I wish it was a little bigger weight and HP wise.

For residential jobs a properly fitted 4520 or 4720 would be my choice. By properly fitted I mean a reversible snow blade and a rear blower. This makes for a heavy machine, you mainly pull the snow out then blow it if needed. Difference in size between 5000 series and 4000 series doesn't make much of a difference on such jobs but the 4000's maneuver better in confined spaces.

/ 5083E vs 4720 with snow blade? Need help #8  
Radman we do not get allot of snow here to often. Most snow falls are an inch, but I have allot of clients and I want to get more efficent then my current setup.
I just think with a 5000 series tractor I can get the condos done allot quicker. I think the tractor will be slower back blading the drives but will really excel cleaning up the streets.I love the toolcat but it seems like every storm I am wondering if it will make it through and I wish it was a little bigger weight and HP wise.
My dealer does not rent toolcats so when I go down for days and weeks I am left hanging and it seemed to be down allot last year.

You have experience with both the 5000 series and toolcat, what do you think?
Thanks Mike

If just pushing snow, the 5000 series will out perform the TC in a straight line or on the road. In open area or on the street, the 5000 series will win pushing the bigger snows. Tractor will have more weight, better traction. The TC is much more nimble and turns quicker. Back and forth work much better with TC. I have heard of TCs with studded truck tires for pushing snow. I could see much better traction with studded tires.