Thinking about a grapple or thumb for my 4120 - Hydraulics? Can I add them myself?

/ Thinking about a grapple or thumb for my 4120 - Hydraulics? Can I add them myself? #1  

OtterBrookStables

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4120
Thinking about a grapple bucket or forks or bucket thumb for my 4120. What kit do I need to add the hydraulics? How is the grapple controlled - lever? I already have the LVB25513 third SCV kit installed - inlet/outlet in the rear for my snowblower chute rotation and a contol lever in the right fender.

What kit do I need and can I install it myself? Is it the BW15260 kit? Never done any hydraulic work, but I'm very mechanically inclined -can tackle about anything.

Suggestions on a grapple rig - forks or bucket thumb or ??

Comments are much appreciated.

/ Thinking about a grapple or thumb for my 4120 - Hydraulics? Can I add them myself? #2  
You can just use your 3rd SCV. Some of the farm stores 'round here carry the add-a-grapple. They have them on clearance a couple of times a year. They are $599 normal. They mark 'em down to $299-$399. They are a nice low cost grapple solution. I want to get one to add to my forks. I'll be using the 3rd scv.

http://www.precisionmfg.com/system/files/products/untitled_1_0.jpg

/ Thinking about a grapple or thumb for my 4120 - Hydraulics? Can I add them myself?
You can just use your 3rd SCV. Some of the farm stores 'round here carry the add-a-grapple. They have them on clearence a couple of times a year. They are $599 normal. They mark 'em down to $299-$399. They are a nice low coat grapple solution. I want to get one to add to my forks. I'll be using the 3rd scv.

http://www.precisionmfg.com/system/files/products/untitled_1_0.jpg

Looks like what I'm after. How do I use my SCV with the hydraulic hook-ups behind the seat? Won't I need the kit that puts the connectors down on the loader arm?

/ Thinking about a grapple or thumb for my 4120 - Hydraulics? Can I add them myself? #4  
The nicest solution would be the EH 3rd SCV Kit LVB25511. It has a button right on the loader control. Another option would to be to add the PB kit and a aftermarket multi spool hyd control. Or you could add a electric diverter.

/ Thinking about a grapple or thumb for my 4120 - Hydraulics? Can I add them myself? #5  
Looks like what I'm after. How do I use my SCV with the hydraulic hook-ups behind the seat? Won't I need the kit that puts the connectors down on the loader arm?

The ones I've seen just use long hoses. Not the best but it works for the least $$$.

/ Thinking about a grapple or thumb for my 4120 - Hydraulics? Can I add them myself? #6  
JD makes a good kit with steel lines that run down the loader with qd's right by the bucket. I installed the kit myself in about an hour.

Do a search and you will find the part number and price for the kit.

/ Thinking about a grapple or thumb for my 4120 - Hydraulics? Can I add them myself?
JD makes a good kit with steel lines that run down the loader with qd's right by the bucket. I installed the kit myself in about an hour.

Yup - that's the BW15260 - lists for $351.00. What I don't know is what controls the hydraulics - how does yours work?

/ Thinking about a grapple or thumb for my 4120 - Hydraulics? Can I add them myself? #8  
Thinking about a grapple bucket or forks or bucket thumb for my 4120. What kit do I need to add the hydraulics? How is the grapple controlled - lever? I already have the LVB25513 third SCV kit installed - inlet/outlet in the rear for my snowblower chute rotation and a contol lever in the right fender.

What kit do I need and can I install it myself? Is it the BW15260 kit? Never done any hydraulic work, but I'm very mechanically inclined -can tackle about anything.

Suggestions on a grapple rig - forks or bucket thumb or ??

Comments are much appreciated.

Yes, the BW15620 kit is what you want to extend the rear couplers to the loader. It is the easiest and cheapest way to go...

As for the grapple and forks...Did you get the SSQA (skid steer quick attach) carrier on the loader or stick with the JDQA (john deere quick attach) setup?

One of the best grapples for CUT use is made by Markham Welding. Most of the ones made for skid-steers are to heavy and use up to much of your lift capacity. You can get a 60" grapple from them for about $1200 or so and they are great to deal with. They also sell forks and toothbars for your bucket. Do a search for "markham" for HOURS of reading.

/ Thinking about a grapple or thumb for my 4120 - Hydraulics? Can I add them myself? #9  
Yup - that's the BW15260 - lists for $351.00. What I don't know is what controls the hydraulics - how does yours work?

Your third SCV lever is what controls it...this kit just extends the lines to the loader.

JDParts is not cooperating right now so I can't get you a picture...

/ Thinking about a grapple or thumb for my 4120 - Hydraulics? Can I add them myself? #10  

HERE is the link to your post...