how to test amperage on an alternator

/ how to test amperage on an alternator #1  

2305JD

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2520
hi folks,
I'm trying get a solution for my alternator on my new to me 2520 and before I do I just wanted to confirm that I have a 20 amp. Is there a way to test this?

The only reason why I ask is that when I look at the 35 amp conversion kit online it looks physically identical t the the 20 amp so I want to make sure I dnt already have the upgrade n my new (to me) 2520.

any advice is great appreciated...

thanks,

mario

/ how to test amperage on an alternator #2  
There are load tester's you can buy...or possibly a local starter/alternator shop can load test it for you.

But there should be a part number on your alternator somewhere. One other option is to take the S/N of your machine to a JD dealer and they should be able to tell you how it is equipped, and warranty work that was done to the machine, and any outstanding recalls.

/ how to test amperage on an alternator #3  
To test the alternator output use a current clamp meter around the alternator A+ lead.
Turn on whatever your load is and read the output in amps.

What issues are you having that cause you to be concerned with the alternator? If you are thinking about winter lighting at night why not consider the newer LED lights instead?
I use them on my boat for night time use and the draw down is very low compared to incandescent lamps. Today you can buy some bright LED models, more costly but should be the same as an alternator upgrade.

Steve

/ how to test amperage on an alternator #4  
But there should be a part number on your alternator somewhere. One other option is to take the S/N of your machine to a JD dealer and they should be able to tell you how it is equipped, and warranty work that was done to the machine, and any outstanding recalls.

If you are looking for the rating capacity of your alternator, do what Kenny suggested above. If you are just looking for current draw/functionality, then use the clamp-on tester or take it where there is a tester. I doubt you can measure max capacity rating using any meter due to loading properly prior to testing.

/ how to test amperage on an alternator
To test the alternator output use a current clamp meter around the alternator A+ lead.
Turn on whatever your load is and read the output in amps.

What issues are you having that cause you to be concerned with the alternator? If you are thinking about winter lighting at night why not consider the newer LED lights instead?
I use them on my boat for night time use and the draw down is very low compared to incandescent lamps. Today you can buy some bright LED models, more costly but should be the same as an alternator upgrade.

Steve

I'm getting a cab and will have lights, heater, fan ,and radio so I'm going to upgrade the alternator. I got a price ont he 35 amp kit from JD and it's $600. Seems crazy to me when I can buy a Nippondenso 50 amp for $180. I just have to figure out how to convert the current external regulator style to the Nippo that is internal regulator.

Thanks...

/ how to test amperage on an alternator #6  
I'm getting a cab and will have lights, heater, fan ,and radio so I'm going to upgrade the alternator. I got a price ont he 35 amp kit from JD and it's $600. Seems crazy to me when I can buy a Nippondenso 50 amp for $180. I just have to figure out how to convert the current external regulator style to the Nippo that is internal regulator.

Thanks...

Is that an electric heater? If so, that is a majority of your increased current requirement and you might consider a heater using engine coolant instead and your current alternator may be sufficient and be less money overall.

/ how to test amperage on an alternator
Is that an electric heater? If so, that is a majority of your increased current requirement and you might consider a heater using engine coolant instead and your current alternator may be sufficient and be less money overall.

No it's a engine coolant type, built in the headliner of my cab. I'm just thinking of the lights, wiper, fan, defrost fan, and of course radio when I'm cleaning snow and the 20 amp will surely not cut it.