Recommendations for Front mount snowblower Chain Lube?

/ Recommendations for Front mount snowblower Chain Lube? #1  

Dale1995

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
I have been servicing my tractor and snowblower for the upcoming snow season:(! I'm wondering what everyone is using on their chains to keep them lubed up. It would seem that something that is thick and stringy would work best, I had purchased some chain lube but found that its very thin, almost like WD40.... so don't know what to use. What are you guys finding that works well for you and doesn't make a big mess of everything. :rolleyes:

/ Recommendations for Front mount snowblower Chain Lube? #2  
When I had a chain drive snowblower, I used the Polaris chain lube that I had for my four wheeler. Worked great.

/ Recommendations for Front mount snowblower Chain Lube? #3  
I just go to the local motorcycle shop and get spray on chain lub from them. The cycle chain moves a lot faster than the blower chain and if the lub will stay on it, it will work well on the blower.

/ Recommendations for Front mount snowblower Chain Lube? #4  
I've been using 30wt motor oil in a pump oil can on mine for the last five years. Seems to lubricate quite well, and in cold conditions it dosen't run too much so not much mess. I don't know if there's any downside to this, but it works for me. Regards, Mike

/ Recommendations for Front mount snowblower Chain Lube? #5  
Ditto Toad Hill!

I've had good luck with Honda "HP" chain lube; it drips a bit, but not very darned much- I just put a piece of cardboard under the chain section of blower to keep any drips off concrete floor.

Attachments

• Honda chain lube.JPG
    Honda chain lube.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 444
   / Recommendations for Front mount snowblower Chain Lube? #6  
I used the JD Chain & Cable lube...sprays a foamy oil which coats the chain nicely...

/ Recommendations for Front mount snowblower Chain Lube? #7  
STP makes a decent stay put lubricant. Works good on sleeve bushings.
I use it anywhere white lube is recommended. White lube will be long gone before the STP is.

/ Recommendations for Front mount snowblower Chain Lube? #9  
I used the JD Chain & Cable lube...sprays a foamy oil which coats the chain nicely...
Another vote for that one. Really seems to hang on there.. ;)