john deere 770?

/ john deere 770? #1  

justmebaby69

Hello folks,
I am new here and I just purchased a used jd 770 4wd from a nice old farmer in va. its a 1993 model with 760 original hours on it. it was a barn kept machine and is very clean. no rust anywhere really and all the metal is tip top. new seat and serviced prior to pickup. its just the machine and no attachments and I paid $5000 for it. Did I get a deal? Machine is absolutely fantastic and runs so nice. I cant stop wiping it down and it now sits in bay 1 of my three car....the **** with the chevy.
Also, anything I should be aware of with this model? I plan to use it to cut grass and put a fel on it this spring. thanks, stu.

/ john deere 770? #2  
Congrats on the new machine,

I bought my 770 about a year and a half ago. It's a '96 and had about 470 hrs. I gave about 5500 for it and at that time it was a real good deal compared to what similar machines were selling for in my area. As long as you are happy with it, that's all that matters.

It will be a good machine for cutting grass. I would suggest getting some front weights and turfs if it doesn't already have them. The one thing these machines could use is a little more weight. Good luck finding an affordable loader. I've been looking for some time and have determined that I probably should have paid a little more and bought a tractor with the loader already installed. Anyway I hope you get many hours of enjoyment out of it.

/ john deere 770? #3  
Hello folks,
I am new here and I just purchased a used jd 770 4wd from a nice old farmer in va. its a 1993 model with 760 original hours on it. it was a barn kept machine and is very clean. no rust anywhere really and all the metal is tip top. new seat and serviced prior to pickup. its just the machine and no attachments and I paid $5000 for it. Did I get a deal? Machine is absolutely fantastic and runs so nice. I cant stop wiping it down and it now sits in bay 1 of my three car....the **** with the chevy.
Also, anything I should be aware of with this model? I plan to use it to cut grass and put a fel on it this spring. thanks, stu.

Oh yeah, I'd say you got it for a GREAT PRICE. If you don't believe me, check these 770's out on tractorhouse.com:

JOHN DEERE 770, Used JOHN DEERE 770, JOHN DEERE 770 For Sale At TractorHouse.com

I have the 790 which the slightly bigger brother to your 770. These are great machines and will last a lifetime, if taken proper care of and if you want to keep it a lifetime. Does yours have the ag, turf, or bar tires?? Does it have power steering too?? That's almost a req't before adding a front end loader to it. Good luck with it!

/ john deere 770? #4  
Howdy all.

I too bought a 770 recently. Mine is a '92 with 2500 hours on it. Came with an SMC loader. This tractor is clean. The previous owner has operated heavy equipment for 30+ years. He took good care of it.

I have bought 3 attachments, all from Tractor Supply. A 6' landscape rake, a carry all and a 6' blade. I bought the tractor mainly for snow-removal but have had fun cleaning up around the house and getting some drainage paths graded to accept where I am going to put the snow piles.

Today I moved a fair amount of ground with the blade. Was the first day I sort of "geared up" and felt the power of this 24hp rig.

It will do damage.!!:D

I enjoy my 770. Hope you do too.

/ john deere 770? #5  
Congratulations and yes, you got a very good deal.

/ john deere 770? #6  
Congrats,

Sounds to me like you did pretty well on the deal.

I have had my 770 about a year. I REALLY like the tractor. I feel it is a great compromise between a new comfortable machine and an old one that is easy to work on. Plus, for use around the house it is a really nice size.

Bill

/ john deere 770?
Well, can someone set me straight. Landscapers are telling me that the john deere 770 is too heavy to cut a lawn. Saying it will kill the grass? I really dont know what to do... I was going to choose wether to go with a rear finish mower or buy a mid mount deck. can anyone set the record straight here??? Any ideas on deck preference mid or rear finish??? thanks all.

/ john deere 770? #8  
Well, can someone set me straight. Landscapers are telling me that the john deere 770 is too heavy to cut a lawn. Saying it will kill the grass? I really dont know what to do... I was going to choose wether to go with a rear finish mower or buy a mid mount deck. can anyone set the record straight here??? Any ideas on deck preference mid or rear finish??? thanks all.

That is a load of crap. Big heavy machines cut grass all the time...and yours is neither.

Now, what tires you have could cause problems with rutting...if you have turf's or R4's you are fine.

/ john deere 770?
Yeah, I thought so. The 770 I have is a nice one and I will use it for the lawn. any thoughts on rear finish mowers vs. mid mount deck?

/ john deere 770? #10  
Does your JD770 have a mid pto.??

In order to run a mid mount mower you will need one....My 770 does not have a mid pto.