leaf moving question

/ leaf moving question #1  

wagonguy

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2305
been raking/vacuuming leaves last 3 days at job. we use a tow behind leaf vacuum(4 cyl diesel Deere)on trailerblows leaves into BIG box in dump truck. My question is what might work best to pull big piles of wet leaves away from curbs into street where we can get em easier with truck; a landscape rake or back blade? I have 6 foot rake and 5 foot blade, I been running thru brain both implements which would work better. This raking em out from curb between cars sux. So trying to come up with sumthin that'll work with tools I got. anyone do similar job with either attachment?:confused:

/ leaf moving question #2  
The rake sounds like a no-brainer to me...

/ leaf moving question #3  
I use a leaf blower on wheels. I am sure you probably see them or have one. Not sure of the horsepower, but it really moves leaves fast and is quite powerful. I blow everything into the street, touch up areas with a good backpack blower, then pick them up with a vac. Would that not work? It seems most tractor mounted devices (rakes etc) would be rough on a lawn (assuming that's where you are working). If you are working around parked cars, I don't see how a tractor mounted rake will work. A good blower will push the leaves aroung and under the cars. How do your big wet piles get to the curb in the first place? Are you raking them there?

/ leaf moving question
HC- these leaves are huge piles people rake onto street. the boro street guys-myself incl- drive a dump truck towing a 4cyl JD powered vac to suck em into big box-10 x7x7 approx-mounted in dump bed. the vac hose is over 14" across. when full tilt it'll suck your pants leg right in.
we hit leaf piles 4ft by 20-30 feet sometimes. (lots oak trees in town) I'm still mulling over in my little brain what may work to help move these leaves out from curb.
We can rake the shorter piles-somtimes blocks long,but the deep piles we actually walk into em and "push" em out with our legs,rakes wont move but the top coupla inches. I'm leaning towards using a chain saw after dark- no more trees-no more leaves

/ leaf moving question #5  
What about a rotary broom. They make them for tractors and skid steers. I believe Sweepster is who makes Deere's.