Warming Up A Hydro Tractor

/ Warming Up A Hydro Tractor #1  

Kubota 2350

Platinum Member
Tractor
2016 JD 3046R Cab ...................... Mower: 2016 Scag Tiger Cat II ZTM
How long do you guy's think I should warm up my JD 4310 in the winter, when say it's below 0 out?

Also does the hydraulic fluid move through the system any time the engine is running, even though the tractor is sitting still?

This is an E Hydro tractor.

Thanks

/ Warming Up A Hydro Tractor #2  
The opertor's manuals don't really talk about warm-up, do they?

First, your tractor is always pumping oil while the engine is running:
through the implement pump as well as through the PS/charge pump.
The charge pump is what pushes oil through your HST even when you
have not pushed the GO pedal.

Beyond the first 30 seconds or so, I don't think you need much warm-up.
The HST will not want to work at all in that first half minute or so. Maybe
a bit longer while the charge pump does its business if it is really cold.

With mine, I start moving the tractor in the first minute, but I don't work
it hard for 10 minutes or so and I don't run up the RPMs past 2000 during
those first 10 min or so. Much of that is due to warming the oil in the
engine.

/ Warming Up A Hydro Tractor #3  
At that temp I would give it a little while so the fluids can completely circulate. No the hydro oil really won't warm up much while it's just sitting stationary, but having the fluids circulate will make it warmer than if it was just pooling with the engine off. I usually let my tractor idle for about 5 minutes when ever it's cool or cold out, you never want to start it and just go right off. Plus, under "starting the engine" in the manual on my 3320 it specifically says, "IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! In cold weather, run engine several minutes to allow engine oil and transmission oil to warm. "

/ Warming Up A Hydro Tractor #4  
My Deere manual suggests running the tractor at 1/2 rated rpms for several minutes before using it in the winter.

I actually run it a few minutes as well in the summer, and as said start at idle then bring the throttle up, just assumed that was a given though. In the winter it is always has the block heater run a couple hrs prior to use via a timer. Also consider 1/2 rated RPM's is only 300 or 400 above idle anyway. I figure the guys who designed and built it know better than me what the machine needs.

Last edited:
   / Warming Up A Hydro Tractor #6  
I'd rather warm mine up at idle, than half RPM, seems easier on it.

/ Warming Up A Hydro Tractor #7  
I just do my tractor like I do my cars/pickup: start, run gently at first. I've NEVER EVER done warmups. Well, maybe a little bit at -20 F on rare occasions when starting one up in Vermont. Usually had them plugged into an engine heater for 30 minutes or so first; so even then no engine sitting warming up. They warm up best when moving gently. Better on the environment, too.

Ralph

/ Warming Up A Hydro Tractor #8  
I'd rather warm mine up at idle, than half RPM, seems easier on it.

Let it idle long enough so that the engine makes oil pressure, then after that bump it up to 1500 - 1700 rpm, (about half throttle if your PTO speed is 2600 rpms). Letting it idle doesn't really do much except carbon the engine, nor will it build any heat at idle. It's not going to hurt the engine at all to run it at any RPM above idle when it's warming up, as long as it has built up oil pressure of course.

:cool:

/ Warming Up A Hydro Tractor #9  
With 0wxx oil, the oil pressure buildup is virtually instantaneous. I use 0w30 Mobil 1 in every engine I own. It provided 1 mpg increase on my 1983 240D over and above the 5w40 I was using earlier, e.g. went from 29 to low 29 to 30ish mpg.

Ralph

/ Warming Up A Hydro Tractor #10  
My Deere manual suggests running the tractor at 1/2 rated rpms for several minutes before using it in the winter.

I actually run it a few minutes as well in the summer, and as said start at idle then bring the throttle up, just assumed that was a given though. In the winter it is always has the block heater run a couple hrs prior to use via a timer. Also consider 1/2 rated RPM's is only 300 or 400 above idle anyway. I figure the guys who designed and built it know better than me what the machine needs.

This is what i do with my steiner hydro mowers,and probably the best advice. Idling is counter productive with a diesel, idling doesnt burn enough fuel to make enough heat in the cylinders to warm the engine up in cold temps,it would take an hr to get up to temp.Also fuel gets washed into the oil,and the rings life will be shortened by running on cold cyliners that are lined with unburned fuel.You need to burn more fuel by revving it up off idle to get the btu's to heat the engine up....Run it at 1/2 pto speed for 3-5 minutes and go easy for another 3-5 minutes.