JD 359 frount mounted snowblower gear box

/ JD 359 frount mounted snowblower gear box #1  

Steuny

Bronze Member
Last year I basically ruined the gear box on my blower. This is the one that is mounted right in the intake and where the augers are driven from. The pto shaft comes out of the fan to this gear box. I had all the correct shear pins in place but when I took this box apart I found no oil and little grease. Not sure why this box broke apart but the one gear is brass and it had no teeth left on it. Even the box itself had a crack. To repair it with original JD parts was going to be near $2000. Still looking for someone parting out this kind of blower. My question is that the box has a plug half way up and a grease fitting at the top. What lubrication should be used ? Should the gear box be pumped full with grease or fill it with gear oil from the plug. There is no drain plug. Hate to damage another box if it was lubrication.

/ JD 359 frount mounted snowblower gear box #2  
Last year I basically ruined the gear box on my blower. This is the one that is mounted right in the intake and where the augers are driven from. The pto shaft comes out of the fan to this gear box. I had all the correct shear pins in place but when I took this box apart I found no oil and little grease. Not sure why this box broke apart but the one gear is brass and it had no teeth left on it. Even the box itself had a crack. To repair it with original JD parts was going to be near $2000. Still looking for someone parting out this kind of blower. My question is that the box has a plug half way up and a grease fitting at the top. What lubrication should be used ? Should the gear box be pumped full with grease or fill it with gear oil from the plug. There is no drain plug. Hate to damage another box if it was lubrication.

WOW, for $2000.00 are you sure that brass gear isn't solid gold?
That seems awfully high for the parts to fix a snow blower.

/ JD 359 frount mounted snowblower gear box
I have since found that 13.5 oz of gear oil are needed in the box. The grease nipple is actually a vent. I found no oil in the box when I did this damage but just grease. It came from a southern state (Kentucky) and I never checked for oil when I bought it. I'm still looking for a used box.

/ JD 359 frount mounted snowblower gear box #4  
Kubota 2350;
Welcome to the world of John Deere. A 6" shaft on the mount to transition the drive shaft is $159.00 I was quoted $1200. for a complete bolt on mount for a 4300 series tractor excluding the drive shaft and blower. A complete 59" snowblower will run in excess of six thousand with shipping and tax.
It is true... snow is GOLD.

/ JD 359 frount mounted snowblower gear box #5  
I don't know where you are located, but I just looked on craiglist (Duluth, Mn.) and found a number of JD snowblower attachments. Might be able to find one that you can rob the parts from. Just go to craigslist--farm and garden--and type "snowblower" in the search box. HTH

/ JD 359 frount mounted snowblower gear box #6  
Checked out Duluth CL. They have a 59" listed for sale.. $3000.00 no mount or driveshaft. The gearbox on a 59 is all by itself. The smaller units will not interchange. No one is going to part one out due to the rest being practically indestructable. Its a boat anchor for now, sorry.

/ JD 359 frount mounted snowblower gear box #7  
Checked out Duluth CL. They have a 59" listed for sale.. $3000.00 no mount or driveshaft. The gearbox on a 59 is all by itself. The smaller units will not interchange. No one is going to part one out due to the rest being practically indestructable. Its a boat anchor for now, sorry.

I have a JD 359 front mount blower on my JD 750. Also have several spare parts including both gear boxes. I knew the one that you need was about $2000 and the other one is no longer made. I've been hanging onto them in-case either of mine fail. I would part with the gearbox between the auger for $750. djgoings2003@yahoo.com

/ JD 359 frount mounted snowblower gear box #8  
I have a JD 359 front mount blower on my JD 750. Also have several spare parts including both gear boxes. I knew the one that you need was about $2000 and the other one is no longer made. I've been hanging onto them in-case either of mine fail. I would part with the gearbox between the auger for $750. djgoings2003@yahoo.com