Silver Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4520

Default 4520 john deere power steering noise

Has anyone figured out why the John Deere 4520 power steering makes the wining noise. I have been thinking of tearing into mine and having a look. I am new to the forum so if this has been discussed I am sorry.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD 5075E Cab

Default Re: 4520 john deere power steering noise

I have noticed some noise with my 4320 also. However, I do not know the cause

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

I haven't heard any steering whine noise so far on my 4520. Do you still have warranty?

Steve

Tractor
    JD 4520, Kubota B21, JD 318

I hear a very faint whine, which I am assuming is hydraulic servo noise. It's similar to the noise you can hear sometimes when you push the pedal to go faster. Note that I can't hear the noise unless I have my hearing protection on and that's in a cab tractor.

Related comment: I have squeaking in my cab. Tried lubricating the door seals, no luck. Dealer comes out next week to look at it, will ask about the slight steering and acceleration whine.

Pete
    '09 JD4520 Cab (60HP), '97 KubotaB21 TLB (21HP), MX6 rotary mower, SB1106 6' Sickle Bar, BB3272 6' box blade, GradeMaster 7' Landplane, 6' landscape rake, Woods GTC 40" tiller, PHD 9" auger, 4' x 8' chain harrow, '90 JD318 (18HP gas) with 48" MM mower, 54" front blade, 47" snowblower.
    Volunteer Firefighter.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7610, John Deere 4520

I've read about this before and can say that I've only heard a slight whine on my tractor once - when I was turning and had the wheels at full lock to one side. Then again, I only have about 35 hours on my tractor.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4320

Do a search for "steering" in the John Deere section. I and a few others have the same issue.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4120

My 4120 whines like crazy. I just figured it was because these things have two hyd pumps, one is just for the steering. I bought mine used and I have about 300 hours on it now. It's always been loud.

Tractor
    JD 4520, Kubota B21, JD 318

Follow up: My JD dealer was out this morning. The squeak was in the steering wheel. Took wheel off, took boot off, clean and lubed up the shaft and a white plastic bushing. Squeak is gone. The noise I had sometimes when I turned the wheel is also gone. Don't know if that's the noise being referred to in this thread. Dealer agreed that the squeak would drive you crazy if you had to hear it all day. I told him if it drove me crazy it would be a quick trip to a familiar location.

I still hear both hydraulic and servo whine, particularly when wheels are turning hard or at the end limit but it's very faint and in the background. Sometimes listening in the cab with and without hearing protection lets you hear different things. It's not objectionable and is consistent with all the other little noise you hear. You get used to them, and it's part of the feel of the tractor and it's how you can tell if something is wrong.

I'm real happy with my JD dealer. The quality of the dealership was my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd factors influencing what I bought. There are good and bad dealers of all colors spread around the planet, and I'm lucky to have a good one near by. I've also bought almost all of my implements from him so we have a good relationship and he can stay in business. I'll pay a bit more to have just one company that I deal with that is making sufficient margins that it can own and solve my problems. The day tractor dealerships and tractor owners start treating each other as if it were the Wall Mart experiance we're all screwed.

Pete
    Last edited by eepete; 11-18-2009 at 10:57 PM. Reason: typos
    '09 JD4520 Cab (60HP), '97 KubotaB21 TLB (21HP), MX6 rotary mower, SB1106 6' Sickle Bar, BB3272 6' box blade, GradeMaster 7' Landplane, 6' landscape rake, Woods GTC 40" tiller, PHD 9" auger, 4' x 8' chain harrow, '90 JD318 (18HP gas) with 48" MM mower, 54" front blade, 47" snowblower.
    Volunteer Firefighter.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    '09 JD 5105M Cab & '05 JD 4720 Cab

Quote Originally Posted by CrownHawg View Post
    My 4120 whines like crazy. I just figured it was because these things have two hyd pumps, one is just for the steering. I bought mine used and I have about 300 hours on it now. It's always been loud.
    My 4720 is also a whiner, both steering and accelerating in MFWD mode which is practically always on since I only use this tractor for snow removal. It's been this way since I had it and I'm told it's normal. I only hear it at low rpm.
    JD 5105M & JD 4720 Cabbies w. Shoule reversible snow blade/Shoule rear snowblower; Pronovost blower; backhoe and some attachments I have no idea what they are for.