Mowing 318 Mower Deck Help Please

/ 318 Mower Deck Help Please #1  

Prodirt6000

Bronze Member
Hey everyone,

We just got a 318 Tractor for free the other day and were trying to figure out how to install the mower deck. Its got the blower on it for the bagger. We dont want the bagger on it, just the mower deck so that it has the side discharge.

Cant seem to figure out how it all goes on there. Anyone show me pictures of theirs how all the belts go and whatnot? I think it is a 1989 or so. I can get the serial number off it if anyone needs it.

Thanks

/ 318 Mower Deck Help Please #2  
Do you have the "mule" drive unit? That attaches to the front frame of the tractor, and transfers power from the PTO belt pulley on the front of the engine to the deck. It requires a BAB. (Big _ss Belt).

To connect the mower, there are four mechanical connections. Two are locking J bolts that connect to the front of the tractor, and two are clevis devices that are underneath the tractor on the lift arms.

I can get you pics this weekend if you still need them.

Wayne

/ 318 Mower Deck Help Please #3  
What size mower is it? 50", 48" ? My 1990 came with a 50" with mule drive on the front. There is also a 48" that fits. The 50" had sealed spindle bearings, the 48" had ones you could grease. On the 50", the shields completely covered the deck. On the 48, there's a gap in the middle and holes for greasing it.

Pete

/ 318 Mower Deck Help Please
Must be its a 50 inch. Its got that shield that covers the whole thing deck. And I do remember seeing that big _ss belt. I was just trying to look at it and see how it all works. To me, I would think that you would need some time of 90* system so that the belt from the engine can turn a pulley that is perpendicular to the deck. I do think I have that mule thing though. Oh does that big _ss belt just one whole belt from the engine and gets twisted and turned and goes to the deck?

Pictures would be very helpful!

Thanks

/ 318 Mower Deck Help Please #5  
Yes, the BAB goes all the way from the front pulley down through the mule drive and to the pulley on the mower deck. The mule drive is the assembly that makes it possible to turn the belt. It also allows you to set the tension of the drive belt. It mounts to the front frame just below the grill where the snow blower or front blade would mount.
The first picture is what the JD mule drive looks like form the front. It doesn't show the pulley configuration. The second picture shows you how the pulley are position to give you an idea on how the belt gets turned, but it is not a mule dirve unit from a JD.

Addendum: I found the third picture on ebay. This is a JD mule drive that shows the pulley characteristics.

Attachments

• am106629.jpg
    am106629.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 1,489
  • muledrive.JPG
    muledrive.JPG
    199.9 KB · Views: 1,517
  • !Be8t6SwCGk~$(KGrHqYOKjgErz(2TL(dBK+YWmzuMQ~~_35.jpg
    !Be8t6SwCGk~$(KGrHqYOKjgErz(2TL(dBK+YWmzuMQ~~_35.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 786
Oh ok yup thats what its got. So that one belt only drives the mower deck, and then there is another pulley to drive the blower for the grass catcher, right? I'll have to go and try and see if I can hook it up right :D

/ 318 Mower Deck Help Please #7  
Oh ok yup thats what its got. So that one belt only drives the mower deck, and then there is another pulley to drive the blower for the grass catcher, right? I'll have to go and try and see if I can hook it up right :D
You got it. If I remember correctly, the blower belt is a smaller belt that hoooks to a second "stacked" pulley on the spindle for that outside blade.

/ 318 Mower Deck Help Please #8  
Make sure that when you put the mule drive on, the belt is correctly positioned. On one side (right side), there is a small metal bar and it's too easy to get the belt on the wrong side so it rubs on the bar. By the time you figure it out (about 1 second) the belt is history. On the other side there is part of the spring assembly that can catch the belt. Once it's installed, run your fingers along the bottom of the mule drive to be sure the belt is only on the pulleys.

The weep holes in the deck are a bit too small, and lots of small cut debris quickly fills the belt chamber on top of the deck. So if you wash it or get it wet, you might want to take the shields off and clean it.

Take a picture of the belt path in the deck 1st time you have the covers off. When it breaks, it will save you a few minutes of head scratching ('course maybe that's just me...)

Achers is right on the money. My comments are just what's written on the diploma from the School of Hard Knocks.

Pete

Hey thanks guys,

I finally got it all together. It took me a while to figure out that front belt. I was out using it today. I also got the bagger on there with the blower. Pretty nice machine. We have a Kubota BX 1500 with a 48in deck and this JD out mows it even maybe! Now time to work on the motor a bit, fine tune it. The engine lobes at half idle.

Oh yeah and one more problem. The lift arms underneath come no wheres close to the holes on the mower deck arms. I need like 6 inches more! I was looking at the cylinder in the back and it looks like the cylinder is not all the way in when I tell it to be. Maybe something jammed so it cant? Maybe relief pressure set too low? So I had to just drive around with the mower deck down the whole time.

Thanks

/ 318 Mower Deck Help Please #10  
Hey thanks guys,

I finally got it all together. It took me a while to figure out that front belt. I was out using it today. I also got the bagger on there with the blower. Pretty nice machine. We have a Kubota BX 1500 with a 48in deck and this JD out mows it even maybe! Now time to work on the motor a bit, fine tune it. The engine lobes at half idle.

Oh yeah and one more problem. The lift arms underneath come no wheres close to the holes on the mower deck arms. I need like 6 inches more! I was looking at the cylinder in the back and it looks like the cylinder is not all the way in when I tell it to be. Maybe something jammed so it cant? Maybe relief pressure set too low? So I had to just drive around with the mower deck down the whole time.

Thanks
Sorry, I can't help you with the deck arms. It has been too many years since I have owned a 318. MY memory isn't that good anymore. IMHO, it is still one of the best garden tractors John Deere ever built. I do have one suggestion for you, take it for what it is worth. If you don't have one already, then pick yourself up an owners manual for both the 318 and one for the mower deck. They are probably readily available from online sources and maybe even ebay. If all else fails, any dealer should still be able to get you one. That will help you out with most of your question and tell you how to install and adjust things, usually with pictures to boot. Good luck with it.