Additional work lights on 4720 with cab

/ Additional work lights on 4720 with cab #1  

TCowner

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4720 Cab
I was looking at a 5425 that one of the local dealers has that has two work lights mounted on each corner of the cab instead of the single light like I have on the 4720. It seems as though I can never get enough light for plowing snow or other evening chores.

I think I have enough alternator output to add some lights and I think it would be a rather simple hookup for the extra light. Has anyone added lights to a cab 3000 or 4000 series JD?

/ Additional work lights on 4720 with cab #2  
I can strongly sympathize with your desire to have as much light as possible... Up here in the winter - there's a whole lot of darkness available for every outside job!! :)

Can you work up an estimate of the wattage/amperage that the tractor presently has as a working load on the alternator? Heater at the various settings, all the lights, (including turn signals), wipers, etc. etc.

When I added halogen lights to my last tractor - I discovered a vacant fuse-link for another rear work light. So, I disconnected the current light and mounted two, brand new halogen lights.

Had to be creative with the shielding and nylon wire wrap setup - but, I didn't max out the alternator or drain the battery over-time.

AKfish

/ Additional work lights on 4720 with cab #3  
I can strongly sympathize with your desire to have as much light as possible... Up here in the winter - there's a whole lot of darkness available for every outside job!! :)

Can you work up an estimate of the wattage/amperage that the tractor presently has as a working load on the alternator? Heater at the various settings, all the lights, (including turn signals), wipers, etc. etc.

When I added halogen lights to my last tractor - I discovered a vacant fuse-link for another rear work light. So, I disconnected the current light and mounted two, brand new halogen lights.

Had to be creative with the shielding and nylon wire wrap setup - but, I didn't max out the alternator or drain the battery over-time.

AKfish

so the front top of your cab doesnt have a light at each corner? then you dont have the "field lights" switch on the right side console? with this you can turn on the two rear lights and two front cab lights.

total, mine has running amber lights front and back as well as two rear lights, two front lights and hood lights as usual. theres a ton of light. id say if its not enough, upgrade to HID kids in the cab lights :)

/ Additional work lights on 4720 with cab #4  
I was looking at a 5425 that one of the local dealers has that has two work lights mounted on each corner of the cab instead of the single light like I have on the 4720. It seems as though I can never get enough light for plowing snow or other evening chores.

I think I have enough alternator output to add some lights and I think it would be a rather simple hookup for the extra light. Has anyone added lights to a cab 3000 or 4000 series JD?

I have both a 5525 and 4520 cab. The lights on the 4520 suck in comparison. I thinking of taking the cab lights off and putting some cheapo HIDs on there.

D.

/ Additional work lights on 4720 with cab #5  

My 4720 came with four work lights, one on each corner of the cab right next to the flashers. So I imagine you could add one without much of a fuss. Someone I know actually has six work lights on his 3720 cab, 4 in front and two at the rear. He simply added two extra ones on the front and says he made no mods to the electrical system, which appears to have room for extra equipment. I'm thinking of adding a pair of HIDs on the cab up front myself.

/ Additional work lights on 4720 with cab #6  
My 4720 came with four work lights, one on each corner of the cab right next to the flashers. So I imagine you could add one without much of a fuss. Someone I know actually has six work lights on his 3720 cab, 4 in front and two at the rear. He simply added two extra ones on the front and says he made no mods to the electrical system, which appears to have room for extra equipment. I'm thinking of adding a pair of HIDs on the cab up front myself.

I have the standard 1 on each post of the 4520. They are OK, but not very good.

On my 5525 I have 2 on each post - way better. Even when i only had 1 per post on the 5525 it was better than the ones on the 4520.

D.

/ Additional work lights on 4720 with cab #7  
I have the standard 1 on each post of the 4520. They are OK, but not very good.

On my 5525 I have 2 on each post - way better. Even when i only had 1 per post on the 5525 it was better than the ones on the 4520.

D.

I agree the standard work lights on the 4x20's are not the brightest, but on the other hand this allows me to leave the front work lights on while driving on public roads without blinding other drivers which is great when one is in the snow removal business and does a lot of road mileage. In order to do this I had to mod the wiring so that the flashers would work even with the work lights turned on, I hooked them to the beacon switch instead of the main light switch.

That said I wouldn't mind an extra pair of work lights on the front of the cab, there's gotta be a relatively simple way to slap some HID's up there. Another possibility worth investigating is to simply replace the standard work light bulbs with more powerful ones, provided the casing can handle them.