John Deere 1070 Compact Power Steering Question

/ John Deere 1070 Compact Power Steering Question #1  

Brenttnhmby

I recently purchased a John Deere 1070 Compact tractor ( which is actually made by Yanmar ). My question for you fellow owners is this. There is a yellow "Oil" cap on the right front of the engine. I can't find any mention of this port in the 1070 manual, however, I assume that this is the power steering pump and the location for adding fluid to the power steering system. Is this correct? If yes, do you use Universal Tractor Transmission Fluid? How much do you put in? There is no level measure on the cap, as in automotive power steering fluid, so can you put to much in? I would appreciate some advice from an experienced owner. Thanks for your reply.

/ John Deere 1070 Compact Power Steering Question #2  
The yellow cap on the right front of the engine labeled OIL is for engine oil. You should normally never have to use that. The similar OIL cap on the top of the engine is usually used.

The power steering is hydrostatic and operates from the hydraulic oil system that also operates implements like a loader. That oil level is checked elsewhere on the tractor.

Attachments

• 1070 steering.jpg
    1070 steering.jpg
    434 KB · Views: 2,326
Last edited: