Backhoe Can the 448 backhoe be made to fit new cab tractor

/ Can the 448 backhoe be made to fit new cab tractor #1  

xrjohndeere

Gold Member
Tractor
2021 Kubota L4060 HST
I currently have the john deere 4520 open station tractor and I am looking at either building a cab or trading mine in on a new 4520 with cab. The dealer said it would be better to keep my loader and backhoe and put them on the new tractor but they say the 448 will not work on the cab tractor. Does anybody know why? If it is just the seat hitting I can modify that. He has offered to trade for mine $11900 difference just tractor to tractor. Mine is 05 with 340 hours. Does that sound like a good deal? Thanks.

/ Can the 448 backhoe be made to fit new cab tractor #2  
SOMEWHERE in the back of my head I have it that the 448 is an Amerequip OEM hoe.
If that is the case and if the new tractor series hasn't had the 448 hoe "qualified" against it you will probably meet dealer resistance to swapping it over.
In any case there might be a need for a sub-frame change.

I would check into it via Amerequip if it turns out to be one of their hoes, i.e. they MIGHT be able to advise you on a sub frame that JD hasn't (yet) FULLY approved,
they may just "know more" than your local dealer too (-:

/ Can the 448 backhoe be made to fit new cab tractor
I think the hoe is actually just a 48. It looks just like the 485. There is no subframe for the hoe. There are JD mounting plates where it hooks directly to the back of the tractor. This was the fractory set up from john deere.

/ Can the 448 backhoe be made to fit new cab tractor #5  
If it is just the seat hitting I can modify that. He has offered to trade for mine $11900 difference just tractor to tractor. Mine is 05 with 340 hours. Does that sound like a good deal? Thanks.

12k difference seems like alot...I want to say that when talking new Cab/Non Cab same/same machines...the price difference is approx 5-6k, so essentially you're taking a 6k hit for your hours/usage which seems high for a machine with only 340 hrs...BUT on the same token, we gotta realize the dealer has to make a few bucks too...

I'd vote against a Laurin or aftermarket cab....while they are nice cabs, You'll invest 6k into getting one on your existing tractor, but the value of your tractor will not increase by 6k...

/ Can the 448 backhoe be made to fit new cab tractor #6  
12k difference seems like alot...I want to say that when talking new Cab/Non Cab same/same machines...the price difference is approx 5-6k, so essentially you're taking a 6k hit for your hours/usage which seems high for a machine with only 340 hrs...BUT on the same token, we gotta realize the dealer has to make a few bucks too...

I'd vote against a Laurin or aftermarket cab....while they are nice cabs, You'll invest 6k into getting one on your existing tractor, but the value of your tractor will not increase by 6k...

Don't know what the posters tractor is worth or what options he has purchased for it but a new 4520 cab without options should sell for about $32,000. I think 12,000 is alot for the cab upgrade too, and he won't get all of this money back in added value either. With his current proposal he stands to loose about $6,000 on the deal and this doesn't fix the backhoe problem either. If he installs a Laurin cab he may loose 1/2 the cost of the cab purchase if he trades again soon, but overall he looses or spends alot less money and can reuse his existing backhoe.

The best scenario is to buy the right tractor and equipment the first time, thats why I suggest that forum members buy slightly larger and deluxe versions. Upgrading at a later date is too expensive.

edit; two advantages to buying the new tractor, increased power and new warranty that may be worthwhile too.

/ Can the 448 backhoe be made to fit new cab tractor #7  
There's actully a video on the deere site that has a 448 on a cabbed 4000 series. To my knowledge the 448 an 485 are the same. If a dealer tells you different direct him to the deere site and find the vid. I'll see if I can and then post it here.

Matt;)

/ Can the 448 backhoe be made to fit new cab tractor #8  
This may be the video you are thinking of:

Deere & Company Media Player

Looks like JD pulled a bit of a fast one - I believe the removal shows a 375 BH not a 448 / 485

/ Can the 448 backhoe be made to fit new cab tractor #9  
WOW, didn't even use the hoe's stabilizer arms.
It SEEMED to just be hung onto the rock shaft's arms.....
Hmmm, as someone said, no sub-frame.

/ Can the 448 backhoe be made to fit new cab tractor
I found that video. What in the wide world of sports is going on? I appreciate the input from all the posters. When I bought the tractor I had to choose beween the backhoe or the cab. Limited funds. Now I wish I would have bit the bullet and just got both. I need to check out other dealer prices but if it is this high I will probably just end up building a cab. I talked to joedale perry about the boxer cab and they said they could include the air condition and heater component but I would have to supply the pump and hoses. The cab was $5800 and the ac/heat component was $3000. The Laurin Cab would be about the same. I talked to a couple of dealers here and the price was almost the same as what the company quoted. Because it would be shipped from Canada and they just didn't sale many of them to be able to give much of a price break.. Anyway if a better deal doesn't materialize then it looks like I will be getting out the plasm cutter and mig welder. One good thing is I have a cousin who can supply all the laminated auto glass and cut it for me. I was told Johndeere is running a 48 month 0% but to get it you have to pay 5% upfront of the amount financed. Not really 0%.