Snowblower skid plate height

/ Snowblower skid plate height #1  

skbourgo

Tractor
JD 2305
Just received my new JD 2305 today with front mount snowblower and FEL. As luck would have it we received about 6" of new snow. My question is if anyone runs there snowblower on a paved driveway with the skid plates in the A position per the manual. (this means that the plates are above the blade and would provide a clean sweep) The dealer had it in the B position. Some feedback would be great. Thank you!

/ Snowblower skid plate height #2  
Welcome to TBN:D

I do not have a blower, but if I did I would want it as low as possible to the ground for the "clean sweep" as you say.

/ Snowblower skid plate height #3  
I would say that the skids should be lower than the blade otherwise the blade will get worn rabidly and catch on any humps/bumps in the pavement and perhaps even break loose some of the bumps (assuming as in most drives have some uneven areas).

That is the intent of skids; to skid!

/ Snowblower skid plate height #4  
If you have the skids lower than the blade that works good for a gravel driveway.

If the skids are higher than the blade it will clean the snow and ice great BUT the blade will wear out fast AND if you hit an expansion joint it will stop you so fast it will put the fan into the radiator. I was lucky, my rig was still under warrenty when it happened. And that is the way the dealed set it up.

/ Snowblower skid plate height #5  
If you have the skids lower than the blade that works good for a gravel driveway.

If the skids are higher than the blade it will clean the snow and ice great BUT the blade will wear out fast AND if you hit an expansion joint it will stop you so fast it will put the fan into the radiator. I was lucky, my rig was still under warrenty when it happened. And that is the way the dealed set it up.

I have to agree with bigtiller. I have the same set-up as you and I set mine to the same height as the blade, actually the blade is a touch lower, but in no time it had worn down to the same level as the skid. Now the skid protect the blade and it gives me a clean driveway.

Attachments

• 2009_0316Waterflood0029.jpg
    2009_0316Waterflood0029.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 608
Last edited:
   / Snowblower skid plate height #6  
I have a gravel driveway and I keep my skid shoes "flush" with the cutting edge on the blower. The key is to make a nice base...

I dont typically blow the first few storms.

/ Snowblower skid plate height #7  
I have a gravel driveway and I keep my skid shoes "flush" with the cutting edge on the blower. The key is to make a nice base...

I dont typically blow the first few storms.

I wouldn't either but then I'd have irate customers. As a compromise during the first few storms I adjust the shoes at the highest setting which is about 2" and wait for the base to pack.

/ Snowblower skid plate height #8  
My snowblowing is all asphalt and concrete. The trick I use that I picked up somewhere is this: I set the blower on the concrete pad in front of the garage which is nice and smooth and level, and put two quarters under each end of the blower's blade/edge. Then drop the shoes down to the concrete surface. This protects the blade (mine is going into its third winter and is wearing just fine IMO), and it leaves minimal snow on the driveway. If the surface catches a little sun, it is bare in no time. My wife likes the driveway BARE and I have no complaints and that is a good thing.:D