Tractor
    JD 2305

Default Snowblower skid plate height

Just received my new JD 2305 today with front mount snowblower and FEL. As luck would have it we received about 6" of new snow. My question is if anyone runs there snowblower on a paved driveway with the skid plates in the A position per the manual. (this means that the plates are above the blade and would provide a clean sweep) The dealer had it in the B position. Some feedback would be great. Thank you!

Tractor
    John Deere 4110, 455AWS

Default Re: Snowblower skid plate height

Welcome to TBN

I do not have a blower, but if I did I would want it as low as possible to the ground for the "clean sweep" as you say.
    KennyD
    www.boltonhooks.com

#BoltOnHooks

Bolt On Grab Hooks, Weld On Grab Hooks, Specialty Chain and Rigging Accessories, Specialty Hydraulic Components, and MUCH more!

Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

Visit our YouTube Channel

Tractor
    MT180D

I would say that the skids should be lower than the blade otherwise the blade will get worn rabidly and catch on any humps/bumps in the pavement and perhaps even break loose some of the bumps (assuming as in most drives have some uneven areas).

That is the intent of skids; to skid!

Tractor
    JD 2720

If you have the skids lower than the blade that works good for a gravel driveway.

If the skids are higher than the blade it will clean the snow and ice great BUT the blade will wear out fast AND if you hit an expansion joint it will stop you so fast it will put the fan into the radiator. I was lucky, my rig was still under warrenty when it happened. And that is the way the dealed set it up.
    HAVE FUN

Life is easier when you plow around the stumps.

Tractor
    2008 JD 2305, 600hr

Quote Originally Posted by bigtiller View Post
    If you have the skids lower than the blade that works good for a gravel driveway.

If the skids are higher than the blade it will clean the snow and ice great BUT the blade will wear out fast AND if you hit an expansion joint it will stop you so fast it will put the fan into the radiator. I was lucky, my rig was still under warrenty when it happened. And that is the way the dealed set it up.
    I have to agree with bigtiller. I have the same set-up as you and I set mine to the same height as the blade, actually the blade is a touch lower, but in no time it had worn down to the same level as the skid. Now the skid protect the blade and it gives me a clean driveway.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snowblower skid plate height-2009_0316waterflood0029-jpg  
    Last edited by Henri88; 12-10-2009 at 12:53 PM.
    Henri

How could you be told I was french?

Rotary cutter 4' Howse , mid mount mower 54'' , f.e. loader 200CX , tiller RT1150 Frontier , cultivator PC1001 Frontier , middle buster PM1001 Frontier , JD 47'' front snowblower , pallet forks , 4' boxblade Agriease , grass-sweeper , quick hitch Speeco , trailer hitch , cab Jodale-Perry , trailer 16' galvanized Easy-Hauler ,

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Deere 3520 Cab, Deere F935

I have a gravel driveway and I keep my skid shoes "flush" with the cutting edge on the blower. The key is to make a nice base...

I dont typically blow the first few storms.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    '09 JD 5105M Cab & '05 JD 4720 Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Spudland_Dave View Post
    I have a gravel driveway and I keep my skid shoes "flush" with the cutting edge on the blower. The key is to make a nice base...

I dont typically blow the first few storms.
    I wouldn't either but then I'd have irate customers. As a compromise during the first few storms I adjust the shoes at the highest setting which is about 2" and wait for the base to pack.
    JD 5105M & JD 4720 Cabbies w. Shoule reversible snow blade/Shoule rear snowblower; Pronovost blower; backhoe and some attachments I have no idea what they are for.

Silver Member

My snowblowing is all asphalt and concrete. The trick I use that I picked up somewhere is this: I set the blower on the concrete pad in front of the garage which is nice and smooth and level, and put two quarters under each end of the blower's blade/edge. Then drop the shoes down to the concrete surface. This protects the blade (mine is going into its third winter and is wearing just fine IMO), and it leaves minimal snow on the driveway. If the surface catches a little sun, it is bare in no time. My wife likes the driveway BARE and I have no complaints and that is a good thing.
    2010 JD X728 62C MMM 47" Quick Hitch Front Mount Snowblower 54" Quick Hitch Front Blade 48" KingKutter Tiller
    1990 JD 185 46"MMM with PowerFlo Bagger