Reset torque limiter?

/ Reset torque limiter? #1  

Karl2

Gold Member
Tractor
'09 JD 5105M Cab & '05 JD 4720 Cab
The torque limiter coupling (photo below) on the PTO extension on my snowblower activated yesterday when I hit a large rock. Now it just spins freely, is there any way to reset it or does it have to be replaced?

IMG_0227.jpg

/ Reset torque limiter? #2  
I cant see the pic (photobucket is blocked here at the office)...is the limiter like this:
PTO_shaft_Ratchet_clutch_for_Agricultural_machines.summ.jpg

/ Reset torque limiter?
No, it has a smooth sealed drum with a zerk and a small hole on the side. There is no shear pin. It was my understanding that such limiters are supposed to reset themselves automatically but this one doesn't appear to have that functionality. I suspect the hole is somewhat related to the reset procedure but cautiously poking inside with a screwdriver while turning the shaft by hand -after removing the shear bolt at the other end- so far produces no result.

/ Reset torque limiter? #5  
Take it off and bring it inside...
The ones like i posted utilize a spring loaded "detent" pin....what usually happens is water/snow/crap gets in there and freezes up the workings...which is why you usually never find such devices or slip clutches on blowers...

I bet if it wont reset with Turbo36's method, a little heat and the reset procedure will do the trick.

/ Reset torque limiter?
Thank you guys for your input, I have finally fixed the dang thing. Turned out the reset procedure is quite simple: you insert a pin or small screwdriver in the hole then rotate the implement's moving part (in my case the blower's auger) backwards while maintaining pressure on the pin until you feel it "click", then you remove the pin and voila you're all set. Easy enough but it's a bit tricky to reach and spin the auger by hand while holding the pin when you're on your own.

My dealership was willing to help but the torque limiter is part of a set of upgraded parts on the blower and wasn't documented yet. They did however provide me with a phone number to reach a specific technician at Shoule in Canada, which I did, and he emailed me the instructions within the hour. The limiter is a ratchet type, not ball type like I had thought. It is made in France.